Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[software development] File exchange software

Alright, I have finally resumed coding on this project. It has been a very long time since a "real" update, so I figure it's about time to go ahead and publish a list of improvements and what to expect in the next proof of concept release. I took months off the project, and forgot how messy the code was. Thus, my first project has been to do some code cleanup. It's still a hot mess, but at least most of it is readable now. In the process, I've fixed numerous bugs as well.

Bug Fixes
- "Home" link on the menu doesn't behave correctly
- "Register" link displays even if user is logged on
- ACP misbehavior
- Undefined index errors (mostly) fixed
- Tons of small issues
- Fixing "invalid header" errors on uploads. Edit: Fixed
- [In progress] Fixing the logout/login system to work properly

So far, there are still some features that aren't functional, especially in the ACP. The "framework" is there to add additional features, etc..., but I haven't gotten to doing a whole lot with that yet. I will soon, as the framework to store settings in the database also exists, no more config.php edits. Yes, I originally coded the settings to work flat-file, which was more of a pain than I had originally expected it to be. Tongue

Anyway, a big part of this update will be reworking some of the code to use better coding standards, and to expand the API to make some of the actual code much simpler. These changes will occur over a few proof-of-concept releases, so don't expect the first one to be great or anything. However, quite a number of improvements will be in the next release.

New Features/The Next Release

Of course feature improvements haven't been forgotten about. The two main things I am focusing on right now are bug fixes/menu improvements, and the Moderator CP. This will be the first version that will allow a moderator or administrator to unapprove or approve uploads, and the moderator CP will create a list of all unapproved uploads. It's nothing fancy yet, but today I got it fully functional. You can "soft delete" an upload by unapproving it, and all uploads currently require approval. (I'm in the process of coding in some backend settings to allow administrators to control their preferences.)

Of course the next POC release will also include the alpha version of user profiles that were in the works after the last release. I haven't done anything with the blogs yet, so don't expect anything fancy there, but the profile framework is shaping up nicely. Another feature I'd like to get to before the next release is recoding the comments. The comments currently are a hot mess and are extremely buggy in every way imaginable. It doesn't help that I'm using session variables either to store the page that the comment belongs on, that will be fixed. Tongue

Look forward to further updates. Only a couple of days of coding have been done since I resumed the project, but a lot of progress has already been made. My goal is to get the next proof of concept release out sometime next week, if all goes well. Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
RE: [software development] File exchange software - by lookforuu - September 20th, 2013 at 6:34 PM
RE: [software development] File exchange software - by Darth-Apple - January 29th, 2014 at 4:12 PM
RE: [software development] File exchange software - by Acko - January 29th, 2014 at 7:49 PM
RE: [software development] File exchange software - by Acko - January 31st, 2014 at 12:02 AM
RE: [software development] File exchange software - by brian51 - February 18th, 2014 at 1:20 AM