Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Makestation Dark (Monokai)

Finished up an 'alpha' version of a dark-theme userscript, I guess. like 95% of the site's functionality is there, minus the MyBB rich-text field for making posts and whatnot.

Screenshots:

Index page:
[Image: 3qMV0jO.png]

Thread/Post (Classic-Linear ONLY!)
[Image: Wb8m6ZS.png]

Forum-View: 
[Image: CDD7qRr.png]

Profile Page:
[Image: gryvihs.png]

Newpoints:
[Image: tsI59Cs.png]

TODO: 
- Post Control Buttons
- Checkboxes in various places
- UserCP is still mostly untested
- Threaded Post-view mode is untested
- Scrollbars

Stuff that I can't be f*** with:
- Anything to do with images or HTML Tongue
- The rich-text post editor
- Cross-browser support
- Removing any of the !important's in the code.

Installation:
  1. Find the code here, copy/paste the whole thing.
  2. Install Stylish for Chrome or FireFox
  3. From Stylish, hit the three dots at the top, hit 'Create a New Style'
  4. On the left from the New Style page, hit 'Import'
  5. Paste the CSS in.
  6. Save, exit, refresh Makestation.
This is... awesome. It looks absolutely fantastic!

Is this in the form of a CSS file (or normal CSS edits) that could be added? If so, I think we'd like to try to install it here as an alternative theme (and make it usable from the theme selector dropdown). Only if you wish, of course!

Edit: We used an awful lot of !important CSS on this theme. We're working on that. It's a custom theme and we aren't professionals... Finna

Yeah the pastebin is just raw CSS basically (with moz rulesets for specific pages)
If you were to do that then you could probably get rid of the 1000000 uses of !important that Stylish won't shut up about.

Oh yeah, before I forget...
GPLv2
No Warranty :P
It's a really neat style. I really like the bottom borders of the .thead being the brighter blue. It looks really neat on a dark background like that.

(March 3rd, 2020 at 3:12 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: It's a really neat style. I really like the bottom borders of the .thead being the brighter blue. It looks really neat on a dark background like that.

I was initially going to make the majority of it with that blue for borders and links, but then decided that I actually just like green a lot better since it's my fave colour and I was initially making this just as a personal little theme because I'm usually only online when it's dark out and eye-strain hits me pretty quickly.

The downside is that now it doesn't match any of the images like for .thead but oh well, eventually I could change those once I can find a (free) version of PS (I only use clipstudio and Corel Painter, neither of which do I know where the tools I'd need are since all I do is draw instead of editing.)
Graphics design is an entirely different ballpark it seems. People can be great at web design, and then designing the graphics is a whole field in and of itself. I have a buddy that ONLY does graphics design (no web design), and he says the same of the HTML/CSS side of things. I think it boils down to what you're used to doing.

I know I couldn't hold a candle ten feet away when it comes to graphics. Stock images are such a lifesaver. Finna

And I'm the opposite. Dark strains my eyes... Finna I have very poor eyesight though, which might have something to do with that. I can't see anything unless it's bright. Tongue

YO!!!! This is awesome! Nice work Lain! I love it!

Would definitely use it. Cool
I've PMed Lain. We're gonna install it here once he's had a little more time to flesh out a few things on it! It's going to be our new alt theme, and will finally bring a dark theme to the site. Plus it's overall a really nice looking style.

Also, thread moved to community related. Smile

Me like! Big Grin

gotta love them dark themes man, great work lain.  praise be the gods/goddesses of the wired. Cool
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
Update: Played with the headers and table headers a bit, even though I said images aren't my problem.
This is about as far as I'll go with image editing, don't have the time and patience to deal with every little icon that MyBB packages Tongue

[Image: DrosMSC.png]

I also fixed some issues with UserCP and post control buttons.
Now all that's left is to work on scrollbars and test alternative thread-view styles.
I like the little blue bottom borders under table headers, nice touch of colour instead of green everywhere.
Looking very nice!

Are you on a Linux machine by chance (font looks different) Finna

(March 4th, 2020 at 5:58 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Looking very nice!

Are you on a Linux machine by chance (font looks different) Finna

Actually no, I use some Japanese Windows tool that makes font rendering actually not look terrible, and imitates Mac and Linux rendering.
Takes a while to get used to, but it's a godsend.

And last few changes with scrollbar are also done.
I've replaced the original pastebin link (under INSTALLATION in OP) with the updated CSS.
If you want to install, this is about as good as it'll get from me lmao. On second thought radiobuttons or checkboxes are fine as they are and I don't want to play around too much with them.
Nifty, I didn't realize the windows font rendering on 10 was so different?

then again I use 8.1, went to linux, and use 10 at work against my will...
hrm...

also, really digging the theme lain
Awesome!

I’m going to install it this weekend. It’s gonna require a little work to get it put in as a child theme (DB problems), but we will have it on the site shortly!

Love it even more.... wow. Looking forward to this one!
Hello all,

I've installed this to the forum. Use the theme selector at the bottom of the forum to change to the new dark theme! It's titled MS 3 - Monokai (Dark )

IMPORTANT: There are some known issues with the theme selector, by the way. If this doesn't work (or you can't switch back), use http://makestation.net/usercp.php?action=options to switch instead. It may fail to switch themes otherwise!

Edit: Fixed this. You can now select easily from the footer of any page. Just use the theme selector.

Many thanks to Lain for doing this!

wow, I'm really digging it! Big Grin
Love this look. The colors are great! Thanks Lain!