Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Wanderers In Time

Aco - I have a generic "thank you for your comment!" for you - beat that Tongue

brian - Good, that's what I hoped for Tongue

Wanderers In Time - Entry 7

After struggling their way down the side of the steep hill on the side of the city, the group found their way in, and decided to head toward the giant tower, where the Machine is located. It was considerably cooler in the valley, rather than in the desert. The steep sides trapped cool air in and kept the hot air above the city.

"The streets are entirely empty. I wonder what drove the past inhabitants of the city away." Peter asked.
"Are you saying there's nobody here any longer? If they didn't take David and Emily away, then who did?" Grandfather answered.
"This place is many years ahead of our cities back on earth. I'm obliged to say we're not on on Earth." suggested Peter.
"Why do you say that?"
"It's 46,294 BC. How could any humans have built this tens of thousands of years ago?"
"Just because it's an early year doesn't mean that there wasn't something inhabiting the place."
"So they were just rendered extinct, and then came back, you're saying?"
"It's not even likely that they were humans, Peter. They just came here, probably lived here for some hundreds of years, and left." Grandfather explained
"Where do you think we are?" Clara asked.
"We could be anywhere. But given the year, hopefully we aren't on Ros." Grandfather replied.
"How so? What's wrong with Ros?" Matthew asked.
"It was around this time I believe, that history taught of a distant race called the Thronax. They invaded Ros, and made most of its inhabitants their slaves. Those that resisted them were killed. Look at the tower. It was a central base during the Thornax invasion. The ancient city of Ostend must have been at this location, but I'm not 100% sure. If only I could get into the Machine, I could confirm this."
"Do you think the Thronax are still here?" Clara asked.
"Probably so, even though this is during the post-war era. The Thornax settled down here for quite a few centuries before the humans re-evolved."

As the group walked by, a strange camera-looking device attached to a street light followed their movement.

"So basically, Rossians who lived in the city before the war were killed." Peter suggested.
"No, the Thornax don't kill unless they have "no other choice" but to kill. The previous inhabitants.. they were likely converted. They were made the Thronax's slaves.. they put them in a metal shell, and some part of it somehow zombifies them. It's a gruesome procedure, I don't care to explain it. Some though may have mananged to flee to other cities. If we could only find them. They were friendly peoples."
"There's the Machine!" Clara shouted with enthusiasm.
"Ah, good, good! I suggest we head there as fast as possible!"

The group ran as fast as they could. The Machine was still in the distinctive form of a house built of brick. Grandfather removed the key to the Machine from his pocket and placed it inside the keyhole. As soon as he did, he instantly received an electric shock and fell to the ground.

"Grandfather! What happened!"
"Are you alright?"
"I'll attempt to open it and we can get Grandfather -" Peter said, hurriedly.
"Don't touch it, it's live!" Clara shouted.

Peter placed the key into the keyhole, and he too fell to the ground after receiving a shock from the Machine.

"Oh my, what happened to it?" Peter asked, painfully.
"Whoever or whatever moved it electrified it, obviously!" Grandfather said in a tone which suggested he was angry and annoyed.

Grandfather and Peter stumbled back to their feet.

"So. We can't get into the Machine, there are these people called the Thornax who have converted the civilians of this city to be their slaves, which are still here I might add, and David and Emily are gone. Very good!" Peter said, sarcastically.
"That's enough. We need to go into the tower. Forget about the Machine for now." Grandfather suggested. I suppose we ought to split up and meet back here in about, say, 20 minutes?"
"What happened the last two times we split up? Both times, someone was dragged off by something called a thornax." Peter told Grandfather.
"Who knows if it was a thornax or not. It could be anything. Grandfather, what do you think?" Clara asked.
"You're right, who knows what lives here now besides the Thornax. Could be more hostile.. creatures." Peter expressed. "My question is, can we live here? What are we going to eat? Just how do you expect us to live?"
"Oh Peter, I have that all under control. If we could just get into the Machine than there'd be no worries." Grandfather answered.
"I don't know how you make sense of all of this."
"All of your questions... will we be able to eat? How old are you? What planet are we on? We have much greater priorities right now than those petty things. I can explain most of whatever you want to be explained when we're back on the Ship. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to tidy myself up before going into the tower, and I suggest you all do the same."
"Yes, Grandfather." Clara answered.

Peter walked around near the Machine a bit, seemingly hurt by Grandfather's comments. A few minutes later, Matthew came to his side.

"Try not to be too upset, Peter. Grandfather just has a certain way of doing things. He's not a bad person, he just has to be in control, is all. I can explain some stuff when we're inside the tower, if you'd like." Matthew told Peter, attempting to comfort him.
"It's not so much that... it's just... I don't want to be here. I'd rather have just stayed on earth. The people down there are probably worried sick about me." Peter answered.
"I'm not exactly enjoying it myself. But what can we do?"
"He could at least take us back to earth. If the others want to go with him, they can."
"I don't think he can. The Machine isn't functioning properly, otherwise we wouldn't be here. All I ask is to just be patient. We'll find David and Emily and, hopefully, we'll at least try to return to earth."
"If they're even still alive that is."
"Just try and be hopeful that they are. I know it's hard, I'm concerned about them too. They're my closest friends, I'd be distraught if they died. Just... believe that we will find them and we will go back to earth."
"Well, I wish I was as optimistic as you are. I guess I'm just not the person for this."
"Oh, trust me, I haven't been enjoying it too much myself. The others seem to love the Machine and the places it can take you. I, for one, would rather stay on earth. It's what I've always called home. And about Grandfather, I can and will put him in his place if need be. You saw me stand up to him when he proposed just abandoning David and Emily. I could never do that."

Grandfather then appeared, ready to venture into the tower.

"Okay, are you both ready?" Grandfather asked.
"Yes." Peter replied.
"Excellent, I'll lead on."
"Oh, Grandfather?" Matthew asked.
"What is it, Matthew?"
"Look north."

The storm that him and Emily saw over the mountains had caught up with them. A huge burst of cold wind blew across the city followed by distant thunder, and then everything was suddenly still. The group made their way into the tower just as the first fat, cold raindrops fell from the black skies and the powerful winds blew, throwing small, loose objects as if they were toys. Large pellets of ice fell to the ground, which only further contributed to the wear and damage all across the city. Nearby lightning strikes sounded like a rifle firing, except considerably louder, and it lit everything up for a split second.

Messages In This Thread
Wanderers In Time - by Gmdykfuiygh66476 - August 30th, 2013 at 11:52 PM
RE: Wanderers In Time - by brian51 - August 31st, 2013 at 12:07 AM
RE: Wanderers In Time - by Darth-Apple - August 31st, 2013 at 12:51 AM
RE: Wanderers In Time - by Gmdykfuiygh66476 - August 31st, 2013 at 2:12 AM
RE: Wanderers In Time - by Darth-Apple - September 1st, 2013 at 12:56 AM
RE: Wanderers In Time - by Gmdykfuiygh66476 - September 1st, 2013 at 3:20 AM
RE: Wanderers In Time - by Darth-Apple - September 4th, 2013 at 9:15 PM
RE: Wanderers In Time - by Gmdykfuiygh66476 - September 6th, 2013 at 2:47 AM
RE: Wanderers In Time - by Darth-Apple - September 7th, 2013 at 4:13 AM
RE: Wanderers In Time - by Gmdykfuiygh66476 - September 7th, 2013 at 10:09 PM
RE: Wanderers In Time - by Acko - September 8th, 2013 at 6:44 PM