Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Wanderers In Time

Of course I do too, it's why I'm so obsessed with Doctor Who Tongue

Wanderers In Time - Entry 5
The six then decided to separate. Clara, Peter, and Grandfather would go together, while Matthew and Emily would head north. David would go east alone. Grandfather and his two followers then set out south.

"You know, this place is very interesting. The air is such a high temperature and the sun just beats directly down on the ground, yet the sand underneath seems to be fairly cool walking over it. Put your hand underneath it, both of you."

Grandfather, Peter, and Clara than placed their hands under the hot sand, to find that it was actually cool underneath.

"Wow, what do you make of it, Grandfather?"
"The only thing I can make of it is that there was recent rainfall that saturated the sand." Grandfather remarked.
"But wouldn't it also saturate the top layer?"
"Probably so, but when we're on flat land between the hills, the top layer of sand is slightly damp as well. I suspect that it must have dried in the intense heat as the noon sun beamed directly down on it."
"You know what else is interesting?"
"What is that, Peter?"
"There's not a breeze blowing at all."
"Well, yeah?" Clara said, sarcastically.
"I mean, there would have had to have been wind right a secodn ago to actually push the dry sand against the dunes. Otherwise the sand on the hills would have been dry too."
"I don't know what to make of that. Other than the possibilty that gusts from a storm blew it."
"Grandfather?"
"Yes, Clara?"
"Look at this."

The three looked down to find a trail of footprints beginning where they were standing, and continuing off into the horizon.

"Tracks. Fresh ones too." Grandfather remarked.
"From what? Perhaps they're ours and we just made a big circle?"
"Where's the Machine than? I don't see it anywhere."
"True, where IS the Machine. It's probably something else's. Let's just follow the tracks and see where we end up at." Peter proposed.

The shadow appeared once again on a nearby hill, but was still far enough to go unnoticed by the three.

"We've been walking for nearly half an hour now. There's nothing out here." Matthew told Emily.
"I think you're right. We need to head back to the Machine."
"There's something unusual about this sand."
"What's that?"
"It's... wet."
"Yeah, so I noticed. But on the hills, it's perfectly dry, but only facing southward. The other sides of the hills are still damp."
"I don't know what to make of that. There's no wind blowing to push the dry top sand up against the hills."
"Hmm.. thunderstorms. The sun dried the top layer of sand, and wind from storms blew it against the hills. South must have been the direction of the wind."
"Then why is the top sand still wet? Wouldn't it have dried by now? And if it was raining, wouldn't the sand have been wet anyways?"
"Well, it's too late to talk about it now: it's almost high noon. We need to get back to the Machine. Let's go."

Matthew begins to turn around and walk back, but Emily calls him back to her.

"Matt.. look at this.. in the distance."
"A mountain range! And a tall one too! It must explain where the storms are coming from. Would they really have just formed out of some barren desert that goes on for miles?"

Just then, the two felt a very cold breeze against them, coming from the mountains.

"Mountain air. It happened back at home too. Every afternoon, the skies would turn gray and cool winds would prevail."
"So obviously the weather is quite similar."
"I can tell it's getting rather cloudy over the mountains too. Might be raining by now. We should probably get back before we get caught in a storm."
"Good idea."

As the two turned back, the shadow appeared once again over another sand dune, watching them.

"Grandfather?"
"Yes, Clara?"
"I feel a.. cool breeze."
"Hmm, same here. Do you feel that, Peter?"
"I sure do. Downwind is south and Matt and Emily headed north. I'm sure they're experiencing the breeze too.}

Meanwhile, David continues to explore eastward, while the shadow, which still has not been noticed by any of the six, watches from a distance. After a while, David decided to turn back as the sun began to reach its highest point and the temperature climbed. However, shortly after, he began feeling slightly sick due to heat. He took some of his water and poured it over himself, providing only temporary relief as his sickness got worse.

"Ok, Peter, Clara, I need to stop for a moment. I think I may be getting a small amount of sunstroke."
"Good idea, I'm not feeling all that well myself."
"Well, we shouldn't rest for too long. We'll literally bake out here once the sun reaches its high point. I think we're already starting too."

"Ok, here's where we started, it seems. Grandfather, Clara, and Peter's tracks go south, David's go east, ours go north. Now where's the Machine?"
"Oh, good question. Did it actually adapt now?"
"Probably. But we need Grandfather to actually locate and open it. They should be back any moment now. In fact, here they come now."
"Ah, Grandfather, Clara, Peter. Good to see you. David should arrive soon."
"I hope so. So did you guys find anything?" Grandfather asked.
"We looked over a tall dune and found a huge mountain range in the distance. It was raining and a cool outflow wind blew from the storm. It's headed toward us - we need to get inside the Machine." Emily answered.
"But what about David?" Peter said.
"Oh, right. Well, we'll have to wait a few minutes and if he still hasn't returned, we'll have to go looking for him."
"We went in two circles, thinking our tracks were someone else's. They were ours. Now where is the Machine at?" Clara asked, worriedly.
"You don't know where the Machine is? Can't you see it? The brick house?" Matthew asked Grandfather.
"You always see the Machine as a brick house?" Peter asked.
"Oh yes, I do. Otherwise I would be unable to locate it. It probably adapted and I'm unable to see it. "
"Ok, I'm gonna try and see where David is at."

Clara than took her communicator out of her pocket. It was a small device with an antenna and keypad that allowed two people to communicate remotely. It looked like a two-way radio, but was much more futuristic and was smaller.

"David? David, are you there?"
"Oh... Clara?"
"How are you doing? Are you alright?"
"I think I'll be fine. I've just got the most terrible headache and I'm feeling nauseous and weak."
"Where are you at?"
"I think about halfway back to the Machine."
"Should someone meet you? One of us can go there and carry you back. We're all suffering from heat illness, but not to such a great extent... yet."
"My water supplies have run out too."
"Would you wait a second?"

Clara put the communicator down.

"Grandfather, David is suffering from severe heat illness. His water is completely depleted, what should he do?"
"Well, I suggest he take some of the cool, wet sand and put it in his clothes."

"Okay...... David? Umm.... David?"

Clara got no answer, but instead heard sounds of struggle and fighting.

"Grandfather.. David's in trouble. We need to find him."

Messages In This Thread
Wanderers In Time - by Gmdykfuiygh66476 - August 30th, 2013 at 11:52 PM
RE: Wanderers In Time - by brian51 - August 31st, 2013 at 12:07 AM
RE: Wanderers In Time - by Darth-Apple - August 31st, 2013 at 12:51 AM
RE: Wanderers In Time - by Gmdykfuiygh66476 - August 31st, 2013 at 2:12 AM
RE: Wanderers In Time - by Darth-Apple - September 1st, 2013 at 12:56 AM
RE: Wanderers In Time - by Gmdykfuiygh66476 - September 1st, 2013 at 3:20 AM
RE: Wanderers In Time - by Darth-Apple - September 4th, 2013 at 9:15 PM
RE: Wanderers In Time - by Gmdykfuiygh66476 - September 6th, 2013 at 2:47 AM
RE: Wanderers In Time - by Darth-Apple - September 7th, 2013 at 4:13 AM
RE: Wanderers In Time - by Gmdykfuiygh66476 - September 7th, 2013 at 10:09 PM