Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fediverse makestation?

So quick question for everyone.  once in the past the idea was floated to make makestation something other than just a forum.  with blogs, a chat, and a site with tutorials on how to do cool projects.

mybb isn't ideal for that given plugins but it works as a forum.

So my question is.  who here knows what hubzilla is?

and how would you all feel if makestation made the jump to the fediverse to take advantage of hubzilla for creating a makestation hub with interconnected sub services like forum based socials.  dedicated pages.  maybe a wiki for tutorials and how to stuff.  and a Content Management System or CMS for custom mods, pictures, things of that nature.

Darth's dream was for makestation to flourish as a central hub of creativity.  Mybb is limited but hubzilla might make that work.

Just food for thought.  I'd like to hear back what everyone thinks of this.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
sounds too ambitious given the user base we have here. Forums / other communities certainly aren't growing. The internet has centralized around services like Facebook and Reddit. No matter what you do, it won't compete with the likes of those.
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
(May 3rd, 2024 at 2:49 AM)Thomas Wrote: sounds too ambitious given the user base we have here. Forums / other communities certainly aren't growing. The internet has centralized around services like Facebook and Reddit. No matter what you do, it won't compete with the likes of those.

That's not the point. given how quiet it is now here at makestation it's actually a perfect time to try something. reddit lost a ton of users to Lemmy. facebook is losing anyone born after about 2000 pretty fast. and twitter is losing people to mastodon.

I won't even implement it until I'm certain it's functional. so here's the deal. Darth and I tried several approaches to replace mybb with something better. including wordpress and Xenforo. but nothing really came of it. What's nice about hubzilla though is how it integrates with stuff I already know works. and it provides a core to expand over time into the very ideas Darth and I talked about with build logs. personal pages for users. even a wiki for posting tutorials for stuff.

It's perfectly suited to make that makestation but better dream a reality.

Is it ambitious? sure. incredibly so. But how many forums let alone mybb ones have actually made the jump into the fediverse?
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]