Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tesla's 'Full Self-Driving' Absolutely Cannot Handle Snow

Despite its name, Tesla’s so-called “Full Self-Driving” software doesn’t actually make Teslas capable of fully driving themselves. If that sounds like false advertising to you, you’re not the only one. And yet, Tesla is still allowed to use that term and recently decided that anyone with $15,000 to burn would be allowed access to the software. But as dangerous as it can be to use in perfect driving conditions, a new video shows how incredibly dangerous it can be to use in the snow.

https://jalopnik.com/video-shows-teslas-...1849945338

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
I think FSD is one of those things that's going to be a lot more work than they initially thought they were taking on, but I expect the technology to mature a lot in the coming years. It used to be for highways only and now can handle city driving in stop-and-go traffic, so i don't really consider FSD to be false-advertising in the sense that it is "full self driving" in normal conditions. At least compared to the highway-only mode that it had before.

That video very clearly shows that it's not really safe to try to use it in abnormal conditions like snow. It's got a long way to go and I think it's still very much a beta feature from the looks of it, and will probably remain that way for years while they work out the kinks. I'm glad they are trying to develop this technology, but I understand that it's a pretty risky venture for them (liability is a big concern in the event of an accident, and that is just one of several concerns).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Darth-Apple's post:
  • tc4me
Absolutely right! What if ... who is liable? And that will fail because Maschiene will not be liable, only man.

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
Snow is a condition where the driver needs to take over. The problem is, a lot of humans aren't smart enough for driving in snow either.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tesla's Self-Driving will run over a child on a school crosswalk tc4me 2 1,403 February 17th, 2023 at 6:11 AM
Last Post: tc4me
  Tesla Model S Plaid caught fire while driver was at the wheel, says fire chief tc4me 6 2,696 August 29th, 2021 at 7:43 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH TESLA tc4me 9 5,179 December 31st, 2020 at 9:23 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
Question But who is guilty if an automatically driving car caused the accident? tc4me 6 3,774 November 11th, 2020 at 10:25 PM
Last Post: Thomas