Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[Project] [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino)

Update 4: One more before I need to get back to doing my course work Edition

Seems that power might not actually be the issue.
I think the keyboard is turning itself off because of its inability to communicate properly with the device.
I really need a logic analyzer for this, might see if any friends have access to one at the university so they can let me in to the lab (clandestinely) so I can poke around.
Swapping around D+ and D- pins (for Data and IRQ, because IRQ handles the clock as the differential/parity signal) makes it start blinking every second or so, turning the keyboard on and off.

I've tried this on both a backlit keyboard as well as an older one that only has lights on the Num/Caps/Scroll lock keys to verify this, and they all turn on briefly when the keyboard is plugged in.
And no, the keyboards aren't faulty, I've connected both to my computer just fine.

There are a bunch of PS2 libraries around online that I've been able to play around with and none of them seem to work properly according to examples and schematics when I wire them up (and of course swap D+/D- pins in case I have them backwards.)

Generally people try this with the Arduino Uno so I dug out my Uno (the first MCU I ever got as a Christmas gift from parents) to test it out and also no luck.
None of the LEDs on the board dim down when I plug the device in, so it's not drawing too much power or anything. They were when I was plugging the keyboard into the Teensy, though.

I'll put this project on hold for now until I can get a proper USB Host shield (with U(S)ART support).
Time to go shopping.

Messages In This Thread
[DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 1st, 2020 at 6:19 AM
RE: [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 1st, 2020 at 11:58 PM
RE: [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 2nd, 2020 at 6:09 AM
RE: [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 2nd, 2020 at 6:18 AM
RE: [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 3rd, 2020 at 5:01 AM
RE: [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 4th, 2020 at 3:08 AM
RE: [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 4th, 2020 at 4:50 AM
RE: [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 4th, 2020 at 7:57 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Software] Benchmarking some machines. WIP. Lain 8 5,043 May 27th, 2020 at 12:42 AM
Last Post: Lain
  DIY Multi-unit stereo system SpookyZalost 5 3,919 March 1st, 2020 at 9:06 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  [Project] Cracking Hashes with Arduino Lain 3 3,641 October 22nd, 2019 at 5:18 PM
  PC won't boot USB? Using 10 year old hardware? try PLOP! SpookyZalost 0 2,044 March 12th, 2019 at 5:09 AM