Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[Project] [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino)

Update 3: No Time to Freeze Edition.
I resoldered GND and it's 100x more sturdy this time.
I reckon it breaks so much because I use basically 100% tin so it's pretty weak for joints. Need to get something a little heavier. Touched up the other joints as well because I got this one done really quick.
Shouldn't have any more issues with breaking.

I also managed to get a keyboard connected, more on that next time.
The thing is I've hit a major roadblock. I've tested two keyboards and both of them power on for a good second or so, then immediately turn off until I pull out the power pin and out it back in, then repeat.
I figured it might be a voltage issue, so I added a 100 Ohm resistor and instead it would turn on for half a second, blink, then turn back off. So voltage isn't the issue.
I suspect the problem is the current passed through the device. From the tech specs on PJRC's site, the Teensy can output a maximum of 27.something mA. Most USB keyboards need at least 30, and in some cases 55.

That would explain why it shuts off after a second, once it realizes there's not enough current to power it properly.
So I've plugged the F303 NUCLEO board in one of the pictures in Update 1 in hopes that it'll have enough current. I mean, the STM32 pulls 300mA from the USB port.
Teensy 2.0 doesn't support 3.3V, before you ask. The STM32 does, but I might have issues because the digital IO pins on this board are hardly 5V tolerant and 3.3v is recommended, whereas keyboards might want 5V.

Bleh, electronics should just be standardized.

Edit:
I also have the option of just pulling whatever the Teensy needs from the USB if I want to do some more soldering.
Not exactly an ideal solution but it would certainly work since USB2/3 ports can push up to 900mA.

Messages In This Thread
[DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 1st, 2020 at 6:19 AM
RE: [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 1st, 2020 at 11:58 PM
RE: [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 2nd, 2020 at 6:09 AM
RE: [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 2nd, 2020 at 6:18 AM
RE: [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 3rd, 2020 at 5:01 AM
RE: [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 4th, 2020 at 3:08 AM
RE: [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 4th, 2020 at 4:50 AM
RE: [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 4th, 2020 at 7:57 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Software] Benchmarking some machines. WIP. Lain 8 5,043 May 27th, 2020 at 12:42 AM
Last Post: Lain
  DIY Multi-unit stereo system SpookyZalost 5 3,919 March 1st, 2020 at 9:06 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  [Project] Cracking Hashes with Arduino Lain 3 3,641 October 22nd, 2019 at 5:18 PM
  PC won't boot USB? Using 10 year old hardware? try PLOP! SpookyZalost 0 2,044 March 12th, 2019 at 5:09 AM