Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[Project] [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino)

First update:

I decided that I don't want to do too much soldering if I'm just prototyping and it's the middle of Winter in Canada. Don't want to freeze to death if something breaks and I need to resolder, so I decided to freeze to death today to save it for later.

I soldered the (broken/brute-forced) USB header to some wires, and soldered some headers to the back of the Teensy which contains the VCC, GND, and two digital pins so that I could prototype with a breadboard.

Schematic (Fritzing):
[Image: TvCgZJU.png]

Image:
[Image: dvJooMX.jpg]

And then I plugged in a microUSB STM32 NUCLEO32 F303 device to test if it was soldered correctly. I connected the data pins to nothing and just wired up VCC and GND to the Teensy, to ensure that the Teensy alone was powering the device:
[Image: 0F3MmOp.jpg]

Success!

While researching a bit more, I found one kinda big tradeoff for using the Teensy 2.0 which was changed in 3.6(++) and the new Teensy 4 (which I want to get my hands on, it's 600MHz and full 32bit! Embedded Linux NOW!)
It can only use 3.3V power. If you feed it 5V or more, it'll fry the chip.
Negligible for out use-case, probably, but if you plug it into a keyboard that needs 5V (think: fancy gaming keyboards with all the lightning and features) then it'll probably kill the device.
But, in an office setting, most keyboards are pretty basic so there will be no issues there.

Messages In This Thread
[DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 1st, 2020 at 6:19 AM
RE: [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 1st, 2020 at 11:58 PM
RE: [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 2nd, 2020 at 6:09 AM
RE: [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 2nd, 2020 at 6:18 AM
RE: [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 3rd, 2020 at 5:01 AM
RE: [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 4th, 2020 at 3:08 AM
RE: [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 4th, 2020 at 4:50 AM
RE: [DIY/WIP] Hardware Keylogger (with Arduino) - by Lain - March 4th, 2020 at 7:57 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Software] Benchmarking some machines. WIP. Lain 8 5,043 May 27th, 2020 at 12:42 AM
Last Post: Lain
  DIY Multi-unit stereo system SpookyZalost 5 3,919 March 1st, 2020 at 9:06 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  [Project] Cracking Hashes with Arduino Lain 3 3,641 October 22nd, 2019 at 5:18 PM
  PC won't boot USB? Using 10 year old hardware? try PLOP! SpookyZalost 0 2,044 March 12th, 2019 at 5:09 AM