Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Programmable key input devices

I would actually recommend an arduino.

you can program them to do anything at a low level, and I know for a fact that people have programmed them to do everything from DIY keyboard inputs to custom HOTAS setups.

however if you want to take it a bit further... ever consider building a circuit with something like a bus switch or something similar?

you could switch inputs by setting a pin from low to high with a mechanical switch thus activating your digital input/output.

I've been working on an AV switch using this principle with potential to be more than just AV, and my early tests have got a dual input audio switch working so far for less than $5 in parts.

using this principle what I would do would be to get a simple programmable Microchip, and use the bus switches to change information to pins using a mechanical switch, and power the whole thing off usb with the microchip sending the information through a USB bus chip.

in total, maybe $15 in parts, at most, including a case if you need one, a power regulator circuit, wires, and the mechanical switches, even LED's if you want them.

Edit: re-reading your post I see I missed the original intent.

honestly what your best bet is probably to look at how the macro pad is wired and see if you can find the signal leads, it shouldn't be that much different though, a key switch

failing that, it seems a lot of DIY mechanical switch boards use a teensy for programming.

you might be better off building a macropad utilizing a teensy or an arduino from scratch over modifying an existing one, I know it can accept inputs and outputs so you could in theory program it to record sequences fed through it, but you'd have to put it between your keyboard and your computer so it can capture the USB signals without dedicated software.

Edit: useful link!: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-custo...s-arduino/

either way you look at it, it's going to be a hassle though, and to use the existing one would require figuring out the input and output of the macro switches and the mechanical key switches, once you do that though it shouldn't be that much different regarding input/output variables.
the macropad is just recording on/off states caused by keys pressed down and from that button activating a saved keypress macro.

have I done this? no, but I've done research into converting cheap keyboards into mechanical ones so I can tell you a bit about the conversion process.

you'll also need to be aware of the resistance differences between the two types of keys, it's small but it builds up depending on how far you are from the actual brains of the device.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Programmable key input devices - by SpookyZalost - February 26th, 2019 at 5:59 AM
RE: Programmable key input devices - by Thomas - February 26th, 2019 at 1:25 PM
RE: Programmable key input devices - by Lain - February 27th, 2019 at 6:10 PM
RE: Programmable key input devices - by SpookyZalost - February 27th, 2019 at 6:13 PM
RE: Programmable key input devices - by Lain - February 27th, 2019 at 9:49 PM
RE: Programmable key input devices - by SpookyZalost - February 27th, 2019 at 10:35 PM
RE: Programmable key input devices - by Lain - September 20th, 2019 at 12:18 AM
RE: Programmable key input devices - by SpookyZalost - September 20th, 2019 at 3:09 AM
RE: Programmable key input devices - by Lain - September 20th, 2019 at 12:12 PM
RE: Programmable key input devices - by SpookyZalost - September 20th, 2019 at 5:22 PM
RE: Programmable key input devices - by Lain - September 20th, 2019 at 7:08 PM
RE: Programmable key input devices - by SpookyZalost - September 20th, 2019 at 8:06 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixing no public key errors in linux SpookyZalost 0 897 August 31st, 2021 at 12:14 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  USB Devices That Punk Guy 19 22,315 February 4th, 2020 at 5:18 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost