Makestation
Will PHP always dominate shared hosting? - Printable Version

+- Makestation (https://makestation.net)
+-- Forum: Technical Arts (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Web Design & Internet (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=62)
+--- Thread: Will PHP always dominate shared hosting? (/showthread.php?tid=3249)

Will PHP always dominate shared hosting? - Darth-Apple - November 27th, 2020

This seems like a ridiculous, even laughable question. Of course it will. But why? 

Wordpress powers well over 1/3 of the entire internet alone. And among non-wordpress sites, many of them are using services such as Blogspot or Weebly, or other PHP related scripts. The consumer, entry level market for smaller websites is completely and totally dominated by PHP. 

Developers of course have largely moved elsewhere for larger-scale, commercial projects. Python/Django, Ruby, Rust, Go, Java, etc. are all far better for many uses cases, and are certainly faster and have picked up a lot of ground over the past decade. And truthfully, I would far rather code with Django/Python instead of PHP any day. PHP is one of my least favorite languages, but it's not one I have the luxery of avoiding. 

I started researching alternatives to CMSs and forums that are written in other softwares, and most of them (besides NodeJS options) are relatively obscure and not well-known. I then, naturally, started researching shared hosts (such as Godaddy or Dreamhost), in search for answers as to why. And most of them support other options, but not without a great deal of SSH setup. It isn't exactly a walk in the park to install these applications.

Granted, for any developer, the setup is easy enough to do on SSH. But for the average wordpress owner, SSH is a mystery and somewhat of an enigma. It's never been touched before and would be well beyond the expertise of the vast array of Wordpress websites that existence. Hence, PHP will likely always dominate the mainstream CMS market. And it's sad, in a sense, because other languages would perhaps be even better suited than PHP for writing these kinds of applications.

I'm not sure that could ever change unless we made other options much more accessible for everyday, non-professionals who set up websites. That's not to say that Python, Java, NodeJS, and otherwise have not picked up a ton of ground server side. They are much more common than PHP for companies and businesses, who typically avoid PHP when they can. Django and NodeJS are HUGE, all on their own. Finna

But they're big for companies and developers, not for the everyday Godaddy site owner (who probably doesn't need alternatives anyway). But it's unfortunate, in a sense, because Django would probably be far better suited for writing WP/Drupal styled CMSs, and the market has a barrier to entry for alternatives such as these.

But for the time being, what are your thoughts on PHP's future? Will other options ever become more accessible? Is there a market for easy, ready-made shared Python/NodeJS options for hosting?

RE: Will PHP always dominate shared hosting? - tc4me - November 29th, 2020

I think PHP will always stay in the front, others will certainly find a place, but as always when something is so big and widespread for a long time, it will be difficult for new programming languages

lg Tc4me

RE: Will PHP always dominate shared hosting? - Kyng - March 2nd, 2021

Well, if the internet has taught me anything, it's that 'always' is a long time! Even once-seemingly-unstoppable behemoths like Yahoo, MySpace, and Adobe Flash have fallen by the wayside, as something better has come along.

With that being said, PHP will probably dominate for the foreseeable future, since too many popular applications rely on it. Maybe, one day, something will come along that does PHP's job better than PHP itself does, but when or what that might be is anybody's guess.

RE: Will PHP always dominate shared hosting? - SpookyZalost - March 4th, 2021

what you are describing is what I like to call the Microsoft Effect.

Basically, be the default option because most users don't want a ton of setup, they want to just turn it on and have it work.

press play and go.

so if you are the default and everything ships with your product, then of course people are going to build themselves around you despite better alternatives showing up.

case in point, windows vs well any other Operating system, MS dos vs other versions of DOS and how it dominated the standards despite not being the oldest, it came on the most stuff by default and was the version of DOS that everyone was familiar with.

the same applies to PHP, it's the default, and systems make themselves around it because it's what people learn to start with and what they expect to work out of the box.

RE: Will PHP always dominate shared hosting? - zoldos - March 4th, 2021

Personally, I love PHP. I'm not very good at it, but I know enough to dabble and I enjoy it. Also, all my sites are PHP scripts that I bought. Good stuff. Smile

RE: Will PHP always dominate shared hosting? - s3_gunzel - March 5th, 2021

(November 27th, 2020 at 8:32 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Wordpress powers well over 1/3 of the entire internet alone. And among non-wordpress sites, many of them are using services such as Blogspot or Weebly, or other PHP related scripts. The consumer, entry level market for smaller websites is completely and totally dominated by PHP. 

Wordpress powers all these websites and is so popular BECAUSE you just get shared hosting with PHP on it and call it a day.

PHP is an ostensibly terrible language; and I say that with all of my programming knowledge. I know PHP inside and out and it's great if you want something quickly, but long-term stability shouldn't be expected and you need to 'bodge' your script to keep it working.

RE: Will PHP always dominate shared hosting? - SpookyZalost - March 5th, 2021

@s3_gunzel so like microsoft then Tongue

RE: Will PHP always dominate shared hosting? - Divya165 - December 20th, 2023

Despite PHP's long-standing dominance in shared hosting, things are changing. The dynamics of shared hosting may change in the future due to the emergence of alternative technologies and server-side languages. But given its broad appeal and adaptability, PHP looks set to stay a major force in the shared hosting market for some time to come.

RE: Will PHP always dominate shared hosting? - tc4me - December 21st, 2023

Klaro :-)

RE: Will PHP always dominate shared hosting? - zoldos - December 21st, 2023

(December 20th, 2023 at 6:55 AM)Divya165 Wrote: Despite PHP's long-standing dominance in shared hosting, things are changing. The dynamics of shared hosting may change in the future due to the emergence of alternative technologies and server-side languages. But given its broad appeal and adaptability, PHP looks set to stay a major force in the shared hosting market for some time to come.

Sounds like you cut and pasted that.  Or used A.I. to write it.  Finna

RE: Will PHP always dominate shared hosting? - tc4me - December 22nd, 2023

Achsoo :-)

RE: Will PHP always dominate shared hosting? - Divya165 - January 4th, 2024

(December 21st, 2023 at 8:43 AM)zoldos Wrote:
(December 20th, 2023 at 6:55 AM)Divya165 Wrote: Despite PHP's long-standing dominance in shared hosting, things are changing. The dynamics of shared hosting may change in the future due to the emergence of alternative technologies and server-side languages. But given its broad appeal and adaptability, PHP looks set to stay a major force in the shared hosting market for some time to come.

Sounds like you cut and pasted that.  Or used A.I. to write it.  Finna

Yes, I took help A. I tool.  Smile

RE: Will PHP always dominate shared hosting? - tc4me - January 4th, 2024

na toi , dass hier einer noch antwortet :-)