Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The alpha - when it's coming and where it's at

For the first time since development began, I am officially redoing the Database API and gutting out all current database related code and reworking it completely. Needless to say, the old code got messy as I was experimenting with different setups to see what would work best, and I ended up with a PDO based connection and a mysqli based connection that both had to be maintained. No solution really worked out the way that I had hoped, and it only ended up adding dependencies and creating unneeded complications.

The new database class will be based off of pure mysqli, and many simple queries will have functions for them to avoid having to actually write the queries in code. For example, a simple function call is all you need to make a simple query to a table. Given that I'm not particularly great at mysql and database design, this will help prevent me from having to dig up mysqli syntax every time I need to do something simple. Tongue

MOre importantly, this gives me an opportunity to go deep into Filecave's code and to remove some bugs and stabilize some of the core code base, and also allows allows me to secure more code that has been left insecure for a while. It may be only one step, but this will hopefully pave the way for more advanced data structures, which will in turn allow me to develop more advanced content management features.

Stay tuned for more. I'm slowly getting back into this project yet again, so development may be slow for a bit while I get back into the flow of gutting the old code out and turning it into a framework driven script. Tongue

Messages In This Thread
RE: The alpha - when it's coming and where it's at - by Acko - March 16th, 2014 at 9:32 PM
RE: The alpha - when it's coming and where it's at - by Darth-Apple - June 19th, 2014 at 7:44 AM