Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fonts?

(November 26th, 2014 at 10:11 AM)Harry K. Wrote: I <3 GoogleFonts.

I am terrible with fonts, I will download 50+ fonts for one project, try them all out on the design, then just to annoy myself decide that the one I had previously installed for another project was best suited for this one. I torture myself when it comes to fonts, I always want to be precise, but not over complicate it, and still make it readable ect... It kills me a little inside.

I know the feeling. What frustrates me the most is you get everything perfect, release the project and then bam... you discover a font that would have been better suited.  Dodgy
[Image: 3GnR8g1.jpg]
(November 27th, 2014 at 3:19 AM)simlink Wrote:
(November 26th, 2014 at 10:11 AM)Harry K. Wrote: I <3 GoogleFonts.

I am terrible with fonts, I will download 50+ fonts for one project, try them all out on the design, then just to annoy myself decide that the one I had previously installed for another project was best suited for this one. I torture myself when it comes to fonts, I always want to be precise, but not over complicate it, and still make it readable ect... It kills me a little inside.

I know the feeling. What frustrates me the most is you get everything perfect, release the project and then bam... you discover a font that would have been better suited.  Dodgy

And then release an update to annoy your customers. Big Grin
[Image: forumonic-bar.png]...............[Image: xige-logo-png-blue-sml.png]
Latest snapshots: Postbit Design - Multi Login Modal (1) - Responsive Pollbar
Cantarell, Ubuntu, Calibri, Lucida Grande, and Open Sans are all great fonts
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
Tongue I prefer monospace fonts myself, good old Terminal or system Big Grin no better way to display ASCII art!
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
In general, I use ChinaCat a lot. I have a ton of fonts on my computer at my disposal, though, so it really depends on things like what I'm making the graphic for. For example, when I make book covers for my stories, the font is always chosen based on the project as well as the imagery. I use some form of bubble letters if the words are going to be part of the sky, for example. But in general, my favorite font to use on things in the most basic form is ChinaCat... and occasionally I Hate Comic Sans (yes, that's a real font)
I mostly use Times New Roman and Verdana.
[Image: qg8LLVv.jpg]
^Banner made by me^
(February 8th, 2020 at 11:53 AM)ᵔᴥᵔWinter Bearᵔᴥᵔ Wrote: I mostly use Times New Roman and Verdana.

Verdana is one of my favorites. Big Grin

I use Calibri for a lot of work documentation and now kinda like it. Nice and simplistic.
They need to stop requiring times new roman for literally everything. Yea it's a tried and tested font, but it just looks a little bit... serious sometimes. Tongue

Fonts to save ink - the Top 3

With the right fonts, up to 50 percent on ink and Toner you can save. The Top 3 of the most economical fonts, we present in this article.

Fonts exchange: ink and Toner costs reduce
A student from the USA wanted to reduce the cost of printing his school and then analyzed four popular fonts. According to his calculations, could the U.S. government approximately $ 370 million to save
Garamond: According to his analysis, is "Garamond" is the winner. The Font is thinner than, for example, "Times New Roman", meaning that it consumes less ink and is easy on the wallet. Centuy Gothic: A company from the Netherlands has already been made previously, fonts are analyzed and came to the conclusion that "Century Gothic" compared to Arial about 31% Toner saving. Ecofont Vera Sans: Extra to Save ink the free Font "Ecofont Vera Sans" developed. You simply need to register with your Email address. The company Ecofont has developed font families that save, allegedly, up to 50% ink: The writing is not holed like a Swiss cheese, but according to scientific studies, the readability.

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
(April 11th, 2020 at 6:15 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: They need to stop requiring times new roman for literally everything. Yea it's a tried and tested font, but it just looks a little bit... serious sometimes. Tongue

Our official memos are all in Times New Roman. I'm so over that font. Tongue So I make sure to use something else any chance I get.

(April 11th, 2020 at 9:24 PM)tc4me Wrote: Fonts to save ink - the Top 3

With the right fonts, up to 50 percent on ink and Toner you can save. The Top 3 of the most economical fonts, we present in this article.

Fonts exchange: ink and Toner costs reduce
A student from the USA wanted to reduce the cost of printing his school and then analyzed four popular fonts. According to his calculations, could the U.S. government approximately $ 370 million to save
Garamond: According to his analysis, is "Garamond" is the winner. The Font is thinner than, for example, "Times New Roman", meaning that it consumes less ink and is easy on the wallet. Centuy Gothic: A company from the Netherlands has already been made previously, fonts are analyzed and came to the conclusion that "Century Gothic" compared to Arial about 31% Toner saving. Ecofont Vera Sans: Extra to Save ink the free Font "Ecofont Vera Sans" developed. You simply need to register with your Email address. The company Ecofont has developed font families that save, allegedly, up to 50% ink: The writing is not holed like a Swiss cheese, but according to scientific studies, the readability.

I'll have to look into using Garamond. Never used it. I highly doubt I could get away with "ecofont" at work even if it did save them money.
You know, speaking of money, we're still using Inkjet printers at work for some odd reason. Not sure why. We have some laser jet ones too, but inkjets are expensive.

How much do you guys print @Guardian?

(April 12th, 2020 at 1:14 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: You know, speaking of money, we're still using Inkjet printers at work for some odd reason. Not sure why. We have some laser jet ones too, but inkjets are expensive.

How much do you guys print @Guardian?

Way too much.

It seems every meeting we have to have printouts of the slides everyone can see and we send out via email just prior. It makes no sense.

I've been questioned at some I host why there's no printouts. I just have to be blunt "that's wasteful, I'm not doing that." Every one fo these people bring notebooks to said meetings too. It's excessive.
We do the same thing. We print out the same thing about 30 times and we end up going through several packs of paper a day. These printer cartridges go fast. Finna

Depends of use... for writing/reading purpose Open Sans and Roboto are my boys (?)
For graphical design reaaaaally depends of what kind of work is and the idea to portrait. Some font I use on base:

https://www.dafont.com/es/beauty-and-the-beast.font
https://www.dafont.com/es/lemon-milk.font
https://www.dafont.com/es/moon-get.font
[Image: fleet.jpg]
I like the moon-get one @Plushy.

I've been adding a few new fonts into MS. The primary one I'm using right now is "Merriweather" (reload without cache, and look for the bright blue table headings, such as the "quick reply" heading, or in the toolbar).

Going to be messing with a few more in the coming days. Fonts make a bigger difference than I thought.

I'm loving Rubik at the moment. I've been using Lora for a recent project too which I found and quite liked.

I generally just head to Google Fonts and keep scrolling til they all blur into one.
WebDevZone - A new, friendly web development community
(June 1st, 2020 at 12:48 AM)campingrhino Wrote: I'm loving Rubik at the moment. I've been using Lora for a recent project too which I found and quite liked.

I generally just head to Google Fonts and keep scrolling til they all blur into one.

Both very nice ones for certain purposes.