Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How is your university handling grades?

Only a semester? Like, the four months or whatever?
That's absolutely f***.
We've got a different system at our school, honestly it's even different from lots of other schools in Canada, a cumulative GPA, or CGPA so I'm unfamiliar with your version of GPA, would that be about a B and is there an approximate percentage for that?

Also -- to avoid probation do you need to actually keep a minimum of 3.0 or do they just ask that you get up there, and then you have some wiggle room for next semester?
And GPA resets every semester too, right? If it does then that's not as f*** tbh

Cause for us, our CGPA score goes from 0-10.
For your final grade, you either get an F (0), E (1), then D (2), D+, C, C+, etc. all the way up to A+ (and A- being the only minus grade.) An A- starts at 80%.
F = 0-39%,
E = 40-49%,
then everything after like D/D+ are each 5% division, up to 90% which is the start of A+.

You get your GPA from 0-10, yeah, but we only measure CGPA, so across all semesters cumulatively. Add the grades from last semester to the new CGPA after this semester.
Although it varies from faculty to faculty, and extra variance for co-op options, typically you need a 5.0 CGPA to stay out of probation.

So if your grades tank a semester for whatever reason and you end up on probation, it's your CGPA that gets affected, and it's your CGPA that you need to bring up.
But all the bad grades you get weight you down a ton, so if you don't want them to weigh you down, you're basically forced to retake them (unless there are other special circumstances.) And it makes it that much harder to bring yourself up.

So yeah. Somehow I'm off probation, which is great because I'm planning a program change and need to be in good academic standing for that. But christ, it's f*** if it hits you second-year, like it did for me. All the bad grades over a year weighing you down that you need to make up for. Retook a couple of them, but also just took the L on a couple others which I might retake another time if I have electives to fill up, but weren't necessary for my program anyway.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How is your university handling grades? - by Lain - May 5th, 2020 at 3:26 AM
RE: How is your university handling grades? - by tc4me - May 5th, 2020 at 4:27 AM
RE: How is your university handling grades? - by tc4me - May 5th, 2020 at 4:59 AM
RE: How is your university handling grades? - by Lain - May 5th, 2020 at 6:05 AM
RE: How is your university handling grades? - by Guardian - May 5th, 2020 at 11:25 AM
RE: How is your university handling grades? - by Lain - May 5th, 2020 at 3:00 PM