Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

JPEG 2000 - The best format that never took hold

i mean they can't exist in the wild when so little actually supports it lmao
but yeah, i mean literally all of those vulns was 'in the wild' at some point in their lifespan.
cisco talos is something else, man. serious CIA shit that goes down there.

thing is, it's typically the codec that causes the problem, not as much the program using it. no one really makes their own codec implementations anymore, hence why the only main one is from 2016 which has (iirc) been patched. anything else in the codec itself would probably just cause it to not parse properly, throw an error and end of story, but when implemented (like the nitroPDF issues), that malformed header now has a way to NOP sled itself in a static environment within the process, leading to the potential for much more damage like RCE

i do know that the jpg2000 codec only actually became truly open/free around 2016 when its first vuln came out. the jpg/png/anything else formats were already really well documented, meaning that anyone could even go as far as writing their own implementations, but to parse jpeg2000 files, you'd need to buy a license from the creators or whatever. I'd imagine that's the main reason it got nowhere. no one wants to pay just to open a goddamn image.

Messages In This Thread
RE: JPEG 2000 - The best format that never took hold - by Lain - April 30th, 2020 at 4:52 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I've Never Used Wi-Fi Towncrafter 3 3,207 July 20th, 2019 at 5:12 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  How to format windows 7 w/out cd? 3DWaffle1 2 5,234 June 3rd, 2017 at 5:16 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  laserdisc the best analog format for video, rare now, fun still! SpookyZalost 7 12,375 March 15th, 2017 at 2:20 AM
Last Post: brian51
  The computer woes never end... Darth-Apple 4 8,033 May 25th, 2014 at 4:05 AM
Last Post: CapTon