Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Apple's new Macbook Air

(March 19th, 2020 at 6:58 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Nice! You’ll have to share how it goes. Big Grin

I never did understand the difference between the T shaped and L shaped connectors. Mine is an L shaped one. I tried a T shaped one and it does not fit at all.

How is the performance over the PowerPC ones?

it should be significantly more powerful, it has double the ram, and a dual core cpu

I'll know for sure when the power adapter gets here and I can test the two side by side.

05 ppc vs 08 intel hmm.

I did notice one thing though, the 08 macbook keyboard, despite being a membrane (butterfly key?) keyboard, feels really nice to type on, the spacing is good, and there's a small amount of feedback when you press down.

it's no mechanical but it might be a nice second.

edit: got the power cable 2 days early...

got everything working a bit ago, honestly I think the biggest surprise was how functional it is.

turns out the previous owner upped it to 4gb of ram (listed max, some people have pushed it to 6?), so I don't need to worry about that.

honestly I think this 2008 macbook may actually work better as a daily driver XD.

however, for old mac software, even with sheepsaver, the 2005 macbook can't be beat because it's not emulating and no emulator has gotten 3D graphics support working yet for old games.

so it's sort of a tossup.

I'd say it'd be best to use both on a case by case basis.

notes: the keyboard is really nice to type on, there's no real noticeable slowdown like I get with USB which is nice, but I'd expect that from most decent laptops.
the hdd is 320gb in size, I can probably stick a bigger one in here.
does not support older PPC games, emulators work but without 3D acceleration. (dual boot with win xp might help here?)

biggest surprise is that it handles normal internet use fairly well... of course I'm using pihole as an extra precaution, old software being what it is but holy carp is it fast despite being so low spec compared to modern systems which sometimes chug loading youtube lol.

comparing a 3 year difference in hardware though is tough, but having a 12 year old laptop outpace a modern windows 10 one with 4x the memory and way more cpu power is funny.

now if I can just find a way to get a copy of OSX Lion instead of snow leopard...
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Apple's new Macbook Air - by Darth-Apple - March 18th, 2020 at 5:56 PM
RE: Apple's new Macbook Air - by Lain - March 18th, 2020 at 10:03 PM
RE: Apple's new Macbook Air - by Darth-Apple - March 19th, 2020 at 1:09 AM
RE: Apple's new Macbook Air - by Lain - March 19th, 2020 at 1:58 AM
RE: Apple's new Macbook Air - by Darth-Apple - March 19th, 2020 at 2:05 AM
RE: Apple's new Macbook Air - by SpookyZalost - March 19th, 2020 at 4:00 PM
RE: Apple's new Macbook Air - by Darth-Apple - March 19th, 2020 at 4:04 PM
RE: Apple's new Macbook Air - by SpookyZalost - March 19th, 2020 at 4:35 PM
RE: Apple's new Macbook Air - by Darth-Apple - March 19th, 2020 at 4:50 PM