Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What happened to Parallax?

Well shit, if this wasn't 50$ from their site I'd buy it.
I reckon that's why the company is nonexistant, just high/marked up prices. No one wants 2KB flash for their programs when smaller and more powerful solutions exist for a fraction of the price :/
I reckon you could get a whole BASIC interface working on a different microcontroller, in any case. Possible next project, emulating a Z80 on an STM32 board (or other 32bit MCU?)

The only time I've done full microcontroller and not dev board work was with an AtMEGA328p (the UNO processor) ripped straight out of the UNO board, because you can do that.
Also used a bunch of 74XX logic gates with it because it was all for a unit in grade 11 computer engineering. Just making circuits and testing them against truth tables to make sure we understood how shit worked before we were sent off to gr12 comp eng where the entire semester was dedicated to a personal project of your choice.

But that's about the bulk of it.
Emulation-wise, I used to play around with WinAPE (a Z80 emulator) which also had a BASIC interface as well as an ASM compiler (16bit to simplify the learning curve to get a grasp on ASM.)

I'd get myself an actual Z80 or 6502 as well but those are also relatively expensive despite being so old. Ben Eater (YouTube) is doing a tutorial series on programming a 6502 from scratch using an EEPROM for RAM and working through all the documentation. He's also selling akit with all the parts, so if I save up I may consider getting one because 6502 is absolutely based and is what old gameboys used to use, so I could try to write something like a GB emulator (is it really emulation if I'm actually using the hardware?) or something.

Edit: Chatbot is stalking me, I'm sure of it.

Messages In This Thread
What happened to Parallax? - by Darth-Apple - March 4th, 2020 at 11:59 PM
RE: What happened to Parallax? - by Lain - March 5th, 2020 at 12:22 AM
RE: What happened to Parallax? - by Darth-Apple - March 5th, 2020 at 12:37 AM
RE: What happened to Parallax? - by SpookyZalost - March 5th, 2020 at 1:41 AM
RE: What happened to Parallax? - by Lain - March 5th, 2020 at 4:27 AM
RE: What happened to Parallax? - by Darth-Apple - March 23rd, 2020 at 4:16 PM