Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Dev Software

Nice guide.

Lately I've been using Visual Studio Code almost exclusively for most projects. I like it because it's very lightweight compared to more advanced IDEs (eclipse, I'm looking at you), but it has the tools that are needed to get the job done. It's actually pretty advanced in terms of actual code-related features, such as detecting PHP errors before you try to upload the files to the server. xCode doesn't do this out of the box, so it's nice that VS Code spent a lot of time on features that were useful, and not just interface related things.

If I'm on Linux, I use Geany (similar to notepad++, but it looks nicer). If I'm developing Python, I usually just use Idle (a terrible IDE but it gets the job done and requires less configuration than other options). That said, I use pyCharm for projects that are longer than a couple hundred lines in Python.

And then everyone uses vim on Linux command line and swears by it. I've always used Nano instead, and I think they are both more or less equally good. They have completely different methods for getting things done, so I think it's just a matter of what you're used to.

Simpler is better in my opinion. Give me a text editor that has tabs and good syntax highlighting, and I'm happy.

Messages In This Thread
Dev Software - by Lain - November 7th, 2019 at 3:59 PM
RE: Dev Software - by SpookyZalost - November 7th, 2019 at 8:30 PM
RE: Dev Software - by Darth-Apple - April 9th, 2020 at 9:00 PM
RE: Dev Software - by SpookyZalost - April 10th, 2020 at 1:18 PM
RE: Dev Software - by Guardian - April 10th, 2020 at 1:24 PM
RE: Dev Software - by s3_gunzel - April 10th, 2020 at 10:20 PM
RE: Dev Software - by Darth-Apple - January 22nd, 2021 at 5:41 PM
RE: Dev Software - by Guardian - January 23rd, 2021 at 2:26 PM
RE: Dev Software - by Thomas - January 23rd, 2021 at 5:53 PM