Welcome, guest! We are a creative arts/general discussion community, and welcome guests and members alike to participate in our discussions. While registration is not required to post, we strongly recommend considering an account with us, as it a quick, free, and easy way to fully utilize all of the features on our forum. We hope you enjoy your stay!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playstation 5
Ever since the original PlayStation hit the market in 1994, Sony's series of videogame consoles has stuck to the numbers. No "Super," no "Max," no "Code Red Xtreme"; just PlayStations 2, 3, and 4. With such unwavering consistency, the name of the next iteration has been a question only in the most technical sense—but Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan is still ready to answer it. The console, he tells me, will be called PlayStation 5. "It's nice to be able to say it," he says. "Like a giant burden has been lifted from my shoulders."

So. There you go. PlayStation 5, holidays 2020.

More: https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/
---------------------------------

Thoughts? Anyone plan on getting it? Waiting?
Thanks given by: Darth-Apple
glad I waited instead of getting a PS4 pro lol.

happy that microborg is running behind.
[Image: 5.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The PS4 has had a remarkably long life. It is also quite a bit beefier than the Playstation. There comes a point when you simply have enough. It has a relatively decent full-HD graphics, enough RAM to run anything, and a decent amount of CPU power. It can run pretty much anything that any developer can throw at it.

The PS5 is going to have to have some serious internals in order to really make it worth the upgrade. Even though the pS4 Pro already supports 4K, the PS5 will probably support significantly more detail with 4K video. Besides that, I don't know how much room they really have to go further with a nominal price range that makes a game console more affordable than PC gaming. The PS4 is already killing it for what it is.

That said, each upgrade, people found a new ways to make use of the new processing power. Only time will really tell, but I imagine that we will definitely see why we needed it within a couple of years.
[Image: makestation_submatrix31_5.png]
Together, we can make something awesome...
Thanks given by:
I don't know if it's worth the upgrade unless you're a complete urban*te tbh.
Unless your neighbourhood had gigabit speeds (which are also affordable.)

I've heard enough of the rumours on its release, and you're right in the sense that it's probably not worth the upgrade. We don't play games at anything higher than 4K (and if you're competitive, 1440p to max the framerate.) To push 8K, you need 4x the pixel pushing power, and that's likely not coming anytime soon. The PS4Pro handles that fine.

But what I've noticed is that I'm seeing tons of ads for PSNow (the game streaming service that PS offers.) It's laggy and buggy and mostly a scam, especially if you have terrible internet (mine's far from horrible but it's not exactly great.) Haven't personally tried it, but lots of the reviews are bad. Maybe if, as stated, you're an urbanite with really good internet speeds, it's probably going to be a lot better, but small town me who doesn't live next to a datacentre is going to have a lot more trouble having any fun with the service.

So I'm wondering if the PS5 is going to have some kind of neat PSNow preloading or optimization. Like, it'll have some sort of asset cache or something so the service doesn't need to render textures and high-poly models and transfer that data in milliseconds, instead handling lots of that processing on the system, and instead focus on sending the game logic and actual code over the data stream.

Just a theory though. It's odd that they're really pushing PSNow though.
Thanks given by: Guardian
I think you hit it Lain. Unless you're willing to spend to support the visuals and speed, and sometimes you can't even due to infrastructure limitations.

Personally, I do my game playing offline. With the current trend, I expect most games will be online-only or the majority of supported features will be VR or online. Both of which I have no interest in.

I plan on giving it a year or two, then buying one cheaper (maybe) after I know there's some games I would be able to play on it.
Thanks given by:
Same, honestly, I like my PS4, and I don't have any plans to go 4k or credit, and I have an occulous. Vr just isn't there yet.
[Image: 5.jpg]
Thanks given by: