Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sim Copter Finally patched for modern systems!

So Great news guys!

I don't know if anyone remembers or played sim copter back in the day, but someone finally made it work on modern systems by literally creating their own patch!

http://simcopter.net/index.html

also they plan to update streets of simcity as well, this is super exciting, I loved both of these games back in the day and I'm super stoked to be able to play them again without them crashing on anything but my Pentium III!
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
"The source for SimCopterX is now released on GitHub, and I finished writing the the Disassembly page (which has a link at the top to the source code). Additionally I've been addressing some concerns with many false-positives of malware for both my website and downloads by contacting various antivirus vendors along with Microsoft. They've been very receptive and Windows Defender now supports the SimCopterX releases (up to Version 3 at least). Sorry for any inconvenience, hopefully by posting the source code you can feel a bit safer. Happy flying fellow pilots! "

ooh neat, I've never played SimCopter before, but more open source things is always nice Smile
Tongue yeah, it's really exciting though, because if you remember SimCity 2000 back in the day, with sim copter you could fly through your SC2K cities!

I'm also really excited that he's going to start Streets of simcity next since that allowed you to drive through it.

both games obviously inspired the U Drive it mode in SC4
That's awesome!

Really wish there was sub-games like this for the newer games.
Sim copter especially because while at it's core it was a rescue mission focused game, you could get an apache chopper and go on a rampage.

and streets of simcity... well at it's core it's a car combat game, so you know, rocket launchers, machine guns, shields, armor, oil slicks...

there was also a racing mode in it, and a free drive mode called sunday driver.

the music in the games is still awesome to this day with a wide variety of soundtracks a lot of which was re-used and re-dubbed for the first sims game.

honestly streets of simcity and sim copter had a bit of an understated effect on what came later post EA acquisition.
I missed SC2K and SC3K. The gameplay on SC3K was great compared to the games we have today. Graphically they were a bit... lacking, but that's to be expected for the times.

Being that x86 processors are supposed to be fully backwards compatible with all older CPUs in its generation, I'm surprised a patch was even needed, but nevertheless it's awesome that they have been able to bring them to the public. Very few people are still on these systems. Finna

@ darth, well the issue is that the game, like many other mid to late 90's games (including simtower), is unable to compensate for the comparatively lightning fast and multi-cored, multi-threaded cpu's of today.

when sim copter came out you could get maybe a 250 to 500 mhz cpu, these days cpu's run in the range of 3 to 5 ghz with 4 to 16 cores and 8 to 32 threads... and that's on average.

basically the game can't keep up and generates all sorts of junk errors and crashes, thus needing a patch.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Old Sim Games Acko 13 17,454 February 11th, 2019 at 7:24 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost