Welcome, guest! We are a creative arts/general discussion community, and welcome guests and members alike to participate in our discussions. While registration is not required to post, we strongly recommend considering an account with us, as it a quick, free, and easy way to fully utilize all of the features on our forum. We hope you enjoy your stay!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midi playback on websites in 2019
Greetings, I know this is a bit dated but has anyone tried using midi files as background music like in the old days?

I discovered to my frustration that most browsers don't natively support it anymore with most midi files downloading to my pc and I have to manually open them in my midi playback system.

luckily I recently discovered this bit of Javascript!

https://github.com/rism-ch/midi-player

what's nice about it is that you can load custom soundfonts into it.

now if you recall my previous midi thread you know that soundfonts are basically audio templates for the instruments which midi uses to play music.

so you can totally use midi playback in a way more advanced form than back in the day, and with the right soundfound and a really good midi file, it sounds really really awesome!

anyway just wanted to put that out there, that it's still possible here in 2019 with the only caveat being apple's IOS and Safari web-browsers not natively supporting certain plugins.
[Image: 5.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Spooky with the ancient history! Tongue

I don't miss background music on websites. Well, the MIDIs were always better than the blaring of some random rock or elevator music. Tongue
Thanks given by:
SpookyZalost, Tinkerer, Technomancer, and cyber Historian, at your service *bows*
[Image: 5.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Universal Midi support via JavaScript in browsers SpookyZalost 1 344 February 25th, 2019 at 9:21 PM
Last Post: Guardian
  What do you typically budget for your forums and websites? Darth-Apple 15 9,507 November 2nd, 2018 at 2:27 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  Recommended Websites Darth-Apple 1 15,392 November 4th, 2014 at 2:09 AM
Last Post: Clayton
  Worst websites ever? Darth-Apple 27 29,195 August 16th, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Last Post: Gmdykfuiygh66476