Welcome, guest! We are a creative arts/general discussion community, and welcome guests and members alike to participate in our discussions. While registration is not required to post, we strongly recommend considering an account with us, as it a quick, free, and easy way to fully utilize all of the features on our forum. We hope you enjoy your stay!

Poll: Do you consider Tropico a city builder game?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
0%
0 0%
No
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tropico - A Citybuilder?
Just curious if people consider Tropico a city-builder, or another sort of game. 

I only pose the question, because I've noticed a few places where its mentioned that Tropico is too tongue-in-cheek and more management than city builder.

Share your thoughts!
Thanks given by:
hmm... I'd consider it more like a village/town/empire management sim with city building elements.
[Image: oEirbE7.png]
Thanks given by:
Hmm I looked it up. Never heard of it before today.

It looks very interesting indeed. Doesn't seem to have quite the exact same target that Simcity and Cities: Skylines had. But it seems to bear some resemblance to the scenarios feature that was present in Simcity 3000. Scenarios were pre-built cities that had objectives (e.g. grow the city to a certain population, reduce crime to X level, etc. etc. ) associated with them. The scenarios were actually quite a lot of fun.

In a way I kinda miss Simcity 3000 a bit. The graphics and features were far inferior, but then again, it was an ancient game. Simcity 4 had quite a hell of a run all on its own though.
[Image: makestation_submatrix31_5.png]
Together, we can make something awesome...
Thanks given by:
@Darth: you know until recently Simcity 3K was the only simcity to be natively ported to linux?
the original was ported under Micropolis... though there was a unix port of it which supported multiplayer on servers way way back when.
but really simcity 3K unlimited was the only Simcity that worked and it was ported by one of the first linux porting companies (responsible for porting such titles as Alpha centauri, railroad Tycoon 2 Gold, Postal 2, and were supposed to port the original Deus ex but were ahead of their time and closed down.)

anyway getting a bit off topic but I've got a copy of SC3KU for linux and it works still with some patches, mods work too.
gotta love the SCURK stuff!

as for tropico... I sure hope the next revision comes out on linux, it's a real shame honestly, it's a great game that I have to boot into windows to play atm.
[Image: oEirbE7.png]
Thanks given by: