Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

What to do with a busted video card?

I actually do, depending on if the gpu chip underneath the heatsink is fried or not, it's likely you blew a capacitor or two, which is an easy fix with a soldering iron, and up to $10 in parts depending.

I recently recapped a video card with busted caps myself

so basically, take the card out, give it a good once over from the surface, remove the heatsink to look at the gpu and check for damage (might as well put new thermal compound on while you're at it, Arctic silver has been known to improve video card life by replacing manufacturer stuff with it.

just be careful, and if you have to do any surface mount stuff, be patient, do them one at time, and ideally, if you can get a hot air gun and liquid solder/flux mix it makes things a lot easier for that stuff.

it's time consuming but worth it... and way cheaper than buying a new video card.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
What to do with a busted video card? - by Darth-Apple - June 27th, 2013 at 1:38 AM
RE: What to do with a busted video card? - by Thomas - March 19th, 2019 at 12:11 AM
RE: What to do with a busted video card? - by SpookyZalost - March 19th, 2019 at 10:42 PM
RE: What to do with a busted video card? - by zoldos - March 22nd, 2019 at 9:52 AM
RE: What to do with a busted video card? - by SpookyZalost - March 22nd, 2019 at 4:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Memory card mod-modding. SpookyZalost 0 2,687 June 15th, 2018 at 4:14 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost