Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mybb Addons and PHP8?

Hello community. What do you think about MyBB and PHP8 and its addons? I always read about problems with addons and PHP8, do we get them running with PHP8? Confused

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
We're still running 7.4, holding off on PHP8 until more addons get upgraded. I'll probably need to update BAM at some point in the future as well.

I have a feeling there will be a lot of incompatibilities, PHP updates tend to contain a lot of breaking changes these days. It's almost worse than NodeJS nowadays.

That's the way it is. Unfortunately, I often read that mybb addons cause total crash, the best thing to do is to give a tool in which you insert a PHP script and then make the script suitable in PHP8, a kind of PHP8 converter :-)

(December 23rd, 2022 at 6:52 AM)tc4me Wrote: That's the way it is. Unfortunately, I often read that mybb addons cause total crash, the best thing to do is to give a tool in which you insert a PHP script and then make the script suitable in PHP8, a kind of PHP8 converter :-)

Doesn't surprise me. PHP8 has been dreaded by a lot of people for a while because of issues like this. Even the MyBB team has had a few issues with it. Probably about 3/4 of the mods aren't updated to support it. 

We had similar problems with PHP7 on MS, but that was at least much easier to update for than PHP8. It's a mess.

Wouldn't that be something for you? You are an absolute programming genius, implement my idea :-) and develop a PHP converter that automatically converts PHP scripts from e.g. php7 to PHP 8 :-)

(December 23rd, 2022 at 7:17 PM)tc4me Wrote: Wouldn't that be something for you? You are an absolute programming genius, implement my idea :-) and develop a PHP converter that automatically converts PHP scripts from e.g. php7 to PHP 8 :-)

I'm not sure I'm quite smart enough to do that, PHP8 has a LOT of breaking changes. There are some code structure things that might need to be updated, and that's a little bit harder for an automated script to do. 

I'm sure some folks who are more skilled in that arena are already working on some converters for it. I might actually try to throw it into ChatGPT and see how well it does (not expecting it to do a very good job, but ChatGPT does have me curious if it can write entire wordpress plugins Tongue )

Big Grin

I know you are clever enough :-), and I am glad that I have woken up your curiosity :-), and with Chatgpt I don't know my way around, I usually only have some strange nide, and you know me, I, I Try around in PHP but I can't. ABE if you can do something with the idea would be cool

[-] The following 1 user Likes tc4me's post:
  • Darth-Apple
1. MyBB and PHP8 compatibility is improving with each release, but some addons may still encounter issues. It's recommended to check the addon's compatibility status before upgrading.
2. To ensure smooth running of MyBB and its addons with PHP8, it's crucial to keep your MyBB and addon versions up-to-date, as developers release patches and updates regularly.
3. If you encounter any issues with addons and PHP8, you can try disabling the addon temporarily or contacting the addon developer for assistance. Alternatively, you can consider using alternative addons that are fully compatible with PHP8.
(January 25th, 2024 at 8:18 AM)Divya165 Wrote: 1. MyBB and PHP8 compatibility is improving with each release, but some addons may still encounter issues. It's recommended to check the addon's compatibility status before upgrading.
2. To ensure smooth running of MyBB and its addons with PHP8, it's crucial to keep your MyBB and addon versions up-to-date, as developers release patches and updates regularly.
3. If you encounter any issues with addons and PHP8, you can try disabling the addon temporarily or contacting the addon developer for assistance. Alternatively, you can consider using alternative addons that are fully compatible with PHP8.

It is very tedious to make the addons fit for PHP8. Constant errors in the log. I'm thinking about changing the forum software