Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[Project] Adrift in the multiverse (a SI multicross adevnture)

Abducted

******************May 25th 2020 - Earth, United states.*********************

Anthony Scott was standing on the overlook atop the continental divide looking over the glacial valley below him. He’d spent the better part of a day having driven up trail ridge road to get there and was fulfilling his grandfather’s last request. Opening the urn ashes blew out over the countryside mixing in with the terrain, it was a day that had been a long time coming when a month before the elderly man suddenly didn’t wake up one morning, shocking his longtime wife of nearly 45 years and anthony’s grandmother.

Both people climbed back into the blue honda that anthony maintained having used it as both main transportation and a test bed for various projects, the engine having long since been converted to hydrogen/electric with the assistance of his long time friend and fellow inventor Kevin. Heading back home the sun was beginning to set as they headed east back towards civilization, pulling an SD card loaded with music on it out of his satchel anthony plugs it into the radio he installed a few years back and music begins playing out of the car’s speakers, nobody saying anything, the vehicle having been loaded up with family. He was letting his grandmother drive as he really didn’t deal with death well and it had him all shaken up, still he really didn’t have much left in the way of family, his mother having traveled into town for the occasion and his uncle who was traveling hadn’t made it.

As the vehicle continued through the night he pulled out his computer slipping on the signature orange and silver display glasses that he’d setup for it, the keyboard long since having been replaced with a custom setup which housed all the components, a rather large leap over the initial model he’d come up with. All of a sudden there was a series of lights in the sky, being the adventurous person he was anthony had his family attempt to make chase, UFO’s were a common sight and chasing them was one of his personal pastimes. He pulled out a flashlight from his bag and began attempting to signal it blinking the first dozen prime numbers in an attempt to get it’s attention. Of course most of the family thought he was crazy but anthony wanted to make first contact and honestly he didn’t care if they were military aircraft or not, in the scope of the infinite universe, let alone the multiverse, there must be life out there somewhere right? Or at least that’s what he believed personally.

Suddenly the light stopped and vanished, his family pulled the car over and anthony climbed out searching the sky and noting the various constellations that the high altitude and distance from the city allowed him to see. Slowly in the distance echoing off the canyon however there was a low pulsating sound, it became louder and louder until suddenly a massive triangular pattern of lights flew over the top of a nearby mountain, coming to an immediate stop over the group huddled together. Is mother began shouting for him to get in the car, his grandmother attempting to start the engine when suddenly he was engulfed in a beam of light, the ground falling away as he was pulled into the ship hovering above him, and then in the next instant everything went black.

Awakening he found himself in what looked to be a bed, the room looking a bit different than he was used to, though not to be unexpected given what had just happened. his door unlocked as he began looking around investigating where he was at, slowly the door opened a series of gears loudly turning followed by the soft hiss of atmospheric pressure equalizing. The first thing he noticed about the place wherever he was, was the lack of lights, it was dark, very dark, but one by one lights came on as he began wandering the hallways, ignoring the voice in the back of his mind screaming at him to find cover, after all how often do you get to explore an alien structure? Suddenly he came upon a rather large door which opened like the rest he’d encountered with the same mechanical clicking sound revealing a large window and some chairs with buttons, switches, and a whole host of control surfaces.

Looking closer he was shocked to see them labeled in English of all things, not some weird writing to decipher, the other thing he noticed was the very warm look of the place, wood paneling, brass frames and gauge covers. The whole place looked like someone had taken jules vern’s Nautilus and mixed with a cross of stargate, battlestar galactica, and various other science fiction franchises he’d grown up watching, the whole thing very surreal. Then looking back to the large window he noticed something else, he was moving, and given the object he was moving past, he was moving very quickly, Jupiter visibly getting closer at a rate that told him he must have been moving at a significant percentage of the speed of light. “Shit, I actually did it, I’ve managed to get off world.” his voice echoing in the empty bridge. Shaking off the awe he was feeling the next thing to enter his mind was where the hell the crew was when suddenly a projection of some kind appeared on the bridge.

“Welcome travelers, you have been chosen to lead this fine vessel on a mission of exploration, we understand you might be in shock at your sudden abduction but don’t be alarmed, you will not be harmed, your ship is currently on course to our home world, distances may vary, but if all goes well you should arrive in approximately six years warning FTL system damaged *static* sixty years, enjoy the trip!” the hologram suddenly cut off. His mind panicking as he realized he’d be an old man and would be traveling at slower than light speeds. “Hell what have I gotten myself into?!” he voiced aloud before taking a deep breath, now was not the time to panic, he’d have to figure his own way out, looking around he found a computer terminal and began attempting to access the ship’s primary systems only to find the controls locked out. “Gods d*** it!” he screamed stomping his foot down hard on the wood like floor a soft metal clang echoing.

Anthony began heading down to main engineering to discover what the problem was, however what he’d discovered was an even bigger shock, there was a diagram displayed on the engineering console of what the main drive was supposed to look like, a large horizontal structure with energy conduits going into it, instead he found a tubular vertical structure with what looked like capacitor banks and all sorts of stuff that did not match the rest of the ship. A small note was attached to one of the consoles written on paper of all things, one again written on english for some bizarre reason, deciding to read the note he frowned. “Sorry for dropping in unannounced, thought I’d spice things up a bit, so enjoy your ship’s new engine, fyi, your adventure actually starts here, enter the following coordinates and pull the lever, oh and don’t piss off anything too powerful, we can’t have my new entertainment dying right away now can we?

- hotep

“Frack me sideways, I’ve been stranded on a ship which has had its guts ripped out and replaced with some other such nonsense." Deciding that he had nothing else to lose he entered the numbers on the computer terminal the note was attached to and pulled the large lever, the drive seeming to come to life humming with unknown energies. In an instant the world felt very wrong, the room seemed to both stretch and compress as he felt like his head was forcibly shoved up his own a** and pulled along a mobius loop inside his guts, the headache having come shortly after it all stopped. Suddenly the computer terminal displayed a message with a countdown timer labeled drive charge time remaining. “Whelp, wherever the hell I am I’m stuck here for now.” the timer was counting down with 12 hours remaining on the clock. Walking into another room he found a series of tables with strange equipment around them, the only indicator of what the room was used for was the red cross on the bulkhead above the door, the earth’s universal symbol of medicine. Another note was left on a tray with a couple pills, “sorry about that, human biology isn’t quite compatible with the transit, you’ll learn more in time, - Hotep.”

A bit more wandering took him to what looked to be some kind of dining lounge, a table and a series of chairs, some couches with windows looking out the side of the ship. There was a large indentation on the wall with a screen and some touch controls. “You’ve got to be kidding me? Is this actually what I think it is?” the screen lighting up as he walked up to it showed that yes, the device in front of him was a matter replicator of some description, having replicated some water he took the pill and sat down on a couch near the window deciding he’d try to clear his head for a bit.

**********Excerpt from the personal log of Anthony Scott - alien ship - time and date unknown, day 2.***********

I’ve been here one gods d*** day and I get screwed over by some kind of entity which refuses to communicate in anything but these stupid paper notes. The entity calls itself hotep by the way, whether that’s a joke or a reference to something I’ve no idea but suffice to say, it kinda pisses me off that my great adventure has become the comedic joke of this stupid whatever the hell it is, I did try to demand it come in person but for all my trouble I now have to clean a pile of paper off the bridge. I’ve discovered something else as well, that strange drive that’s where the ship’s FTL drive is supposed to be? It’s a multiverse hopping drive, it opens a wormhole between universes and the ship gets pulled through, not a pleasant experience let me tell you, I think that one drink from hitchhikers guide would be less painful.

***********Anthony scott personal log - Alien ship - Time unknown, day 6***********

You know if it wasn’t for Hotep I don’t think I’d be as annoyed as I am right now, the bastard actually modified the replicator so whenever I tried to make chicken noodle soup it came out covered in feathers!, Don’t don’t ask me about the fuzzy socket wrench, it works but it still feels weird without cool metal under my grip.

************* To be continued *****************

Authors note

I realize my grammar needs work but any critiques or corrections you may have would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Adrift in the multiverse (a SI multicross adevnture) - by SpookyZalost - September 19th, 2017 at 2:33 AM