Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Restoring an old Graphic Equalizer

So I finally had some time to sit down and start looking over this board and removing it from the wiring harness and front panel of the device.

and I learned something shocking.

looking at how the silkscreen was done on the component side of the board (circuit side and component side of a single sided board).
this was clearly intended to be assembled by a person and not a machine.

the wire sequence is easy to follow, the components are labeled by type and grouped by voltage/resistance/capacitance/etc, and the wires are color coded.

meaning that not only was this graphic equalizer's circuit drawn by a person rather than a computer, it was assembled by a person.

the last person to do anything to this device was a human not a machine, and to me that's huge!

the other takeaway is that the wires were wrapped around pins, not soldered to the board, which is something else I'd never encountered before, besides paper capacitors I mean.

Finally there's a patent listed on the back and I did some digging between my last post and now and well... it's expired, completely free to do anything with.

so long as I don't expect to make a profit from it I can totally just reverse engineer it and post a board derived from studying it so other hobbyists can build one themselves.

[Image: oebgtKil.jpg]

[Image: YMI2KUGl.jpg]
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Restoring an old Graphic Equalizer - by SpookyZalost - March 18th, 2021 at 3:02 AM
RE: Restoring an old Graphic Equalizer - by SpookyZalost - April 8th, 2021 at 2:06 AM
RE: Restoring an old Graphic Equalizer - by Guardian - April 9th, 2021 at 12:08 PM
RE: Restoring an old Graphic Equalizer - by SpookyZalost - April 13th, 2021 at 11:23 PM
RE: Restoring an old Graphic Equalizer - by SpookyZalost - July 17th, 2021 at 10:57 PM