Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NandGame

I found a cool game a while ago in some /g/ thread about building a CPU straight from scratch called NandGame.
Link: http://nandgame.com/

You might have learned about some of this stuff in a uni-level computer architecture course, and probably know about lots of the actual gates from either programming or high-school level logic/engineering classes. In any case, the game's pretty fun, I'm currently on the memory section trying to figure out the flip flop (even though I'm familiar with the concept already).

It focuses a lot on NAND (not-and, or inv-and) because, realistically, NAND gates are the cheapest (and sometimes the smallest) to make in fact, that in modern CPU architectures primarily just use NAND gates to build other logic systems. As such, it's theoretically possible to build everything in-game with just NAND gates.

But that would just clutter your screen, so you can use parts that you've already made to build other parts, until you start working your way up to more complex parts where you might be only given your primitive logic gates to complete a level, and in those cases, I've found myself just building those solutions with NAND/NOT gates.

Give it a shot, it's pretty fun and you'll learn lots about how computers work at a hardware level.

Messages In This Thread
NandGame - by Lain - November 5th, 2019 at 3:46 AM
RE: NandGame - by Guardian - November 5th, 2019 at 10:31 PM
RE: NandGame - by SpookyZalost - November 6th, 2019 at 6:58 PM
RE: NandGame - by Lain - November 7th, 2019 at 2:03 AM
RE: NandGame - by SpookyZalost - November 7th, 2019 at 4:31 AM
RE: NandGame - by Lain - November 7th, 2019 at 1:53 PM
RE: NandGame - by SpookyZalost - November 7th, 2019 at 8:33 PM
RE: NandGame - by Lain - November 7th, 2019 at 9:05 PM
RE: NandGame - by SpookyZalost - November 8th, 2019 at 6:20 PM