Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Astrobiology, the science of ET.

considering all this though, even if we only stick with Earth type planets...

well let's put it this way, given the number that's been found, mostly looking in roughly one direction and averaging it out.

if the total number of long lived stars in our galaxy is roughly 200 billion, up to 20 percent could host earth like planets or so nasa says with the number between 11 billion and 40 billion based on what has been discovered so far, with roughly 11 billion orbiting stars in the A, G, and K classifications like our own sun.

so I'd say, barring things like galaxy spanning mass extinctions, nearby hazard zones (pulars, quasars, etc), and other such things.

that's still over 2 billion potentially habitable planets out there, which can have liquid water on their surfaces.

that's not including moons orbiting gas giants in the habitable zone, rogue planets with thick atmospheres, and other more fantastic things.

and that's only water soluble life which exists at similar conditions to earth.

silicon based life for example would exist in much hotter hellish places while some combinations such as methane and ethane based life might exist in colder places like titan.

so yeah, I'd say the odds are overwhelmingly stacked in the pro non terrestrial life's favor.

btw, though it's constantly irradiated on one side due to tidal locking, the nearest non sol planet to earth is literally next door orbiting proxima centauri, it is 1.3 earth masses, is roughly the same size as earth and orbits in the habitable zone, it's year is about 11 days long.

also... fun fact, the first planets found outside our solar system orbit a pulsar, it's theorized that they formed after the original star went nova.

granted nothing lives there, they'd be bathed in extreme radiation due to said pulsar, but still an interesting fun fact.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Astrobiology, the science of ET. - by SpookyZalost - June 19th, 2019 at 12:35 AM
RE: Astrobiology, the science of ET. - by Guardian - June 19th, 2019 at 1:16 AM
RE: Astrobiology, the science of ET. - by SpookyZalost - June 19th, 2019 at 3:19 AM