Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The death penalty

Some would argue that being behind bars for life is actually a worse punishment. I see the reasoning behind that, but I disagree for a couple of reasons personally. 

A) People on death row tend to stay there for at least a decade or so on average. They are getting plenty of time behind bars to reflect and are in less than luxurious living conditions while they are at it. Death row is not going to be one of the more pleasant prisons that one can be in during this time.

B) Generally, the vast majority of death penalty cases are murder cases. If you murder someone else, the death penalty is symbolic to society, and is more than just pain to the criminal. Death is justice in these circumstances. 

Now, that doesn't deal with the fact that the death penalty may be wrongly given to innocent individuals. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen, and it is a very sad reality. I personally don't think it should ever be administered in cases where the jury isn't completely and totally certain of a criminal's guilt. 

What are your thoughts on the use of the death penalty? Do you feel it is ethical? Do you feel it should be administered, whether morally acceptable or not?

Messages In This Thread
The death penalty - by Darth-Apple - November 4th, 2014 at 4:06 AM
RE: The death penalty - by Clayton - November 5th, 2014 at 1:59 AM
RE: The death penalty - by Darth-Apple - November 5th, 2014 at 2:04 AM
RE: The death penalty - by Clayton - November 5th, 2014 at 2:17 AM
RE: The death penalty - by Darth-Apple - November 5th, 2014 at 2:23 AM
RE: The death penalty - by Urban - November 17th, 2014 at 12:45 PM
RE: The death penalty - by Darth-Apple - November 17th, 2014 at 12:57 PM
RE: The death penalty - by SpookyZalost - June 3rd, 2017 at 6:08 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prince Philip death tc4me 3 2,054 April 13th, 2021 at 1:06 PM