Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ubuntu/Unity - Take 2

Yeah, I still use Windows 8 when needed. The Unity interface is something I'm really starting to get used to though. I feel much more productive booted up in Ubuntu over Windows 8, but then again, I suppose I'm not exactly adjusted to Windows 8 yet.

This is my latest desktop screenshot Big Grin
[Image: ktqZqCq.jpg]
(click for full size)

The dash isn't particularly amazing in Unity, but once online search results are removed, it gets the job done. My biggest pet peeve remains the poor implementation of workspaces. Considering how easy it is for applications to get cluttered on the launcher, workspaces should be an easy way to get around that issue. However, applications from all workspaces show on the launcher, regardless of the active workspace. (It is easy to tell which applications are open in the currently active workspace because Unity shows an open triangle instead of a closed triangle next to applications that are open in another workspace, but it still doesn't solve the clutter issue. )

Overall, after another week of use, I remain pretty pleased with it overall. It's not perfect, but the alternative interface is pretty refreshing overall, especially with the excellent screen space use for maximized applications. (For a maximized application, the panel/toolbar doubles as the application's titlebar/menubar as well, so one single top panel contains all of the system controls to the right, and window related controls to the left. I think it's brilliant, personally. )

Messages In This Thread
Ubuntu/Unity - Take 2 - by Darth-Apple - June 20th, 2014 at 7:47 PM
RE: Ubuntu/Unity - Take 2 - by CapTon - June 21st, 2014 at 5:51 PM
RE: Ubuntu/Unity - Take 2 - by Darth-Apple - June 28th, 2014 at 1:03 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Installing Ubuntu on an Intel Mac Darth-Apple 4 2,148 February 13th, 2023 at 6:09 PM
Last Post: tc4me
  Debian vs Ubuntu... Darth-Apple 42 20,521 December 25th, 2020 at 5:50 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  Ubuntu searches apparently being sent to third parties Darth-Apple 6 10,209 January 30th, 2014 at 2:56 AM
Last Post: Acko
  General Direction of Ubuntu [poll] Darth-Apple 5 8,965 August 23rd, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Last Post: Gmdykfuiygh66476