Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Installing Ubuntu on an Intel Mac

I have a few older Macs lying around that I've been looking for good uses for. My college laptop was a 2012 and it was pretty decent for its time (doesn't receive software updates anymore, stuck on Catalina. Opencore works for more recent versions, but I prefer having older OS versions on older hardware anyway).

I also have a 2017 that was a work laptop at one point, and it's a dual core model much like the 2012 (although with a much higher clock speed and a newer architecture, so it performs noticeably better). I don't have any PCs laying around anymore and missed having an Ubuntu computer, so rather than going up to a pawn shop to buy a cheap laptop, I figured I'd throw Ubuntu on this thing instead.

Despite this thing being a Mac, Ubuntu has actually worked quite well on it. I had to install a few custom kernel modules to fix bluetooth and speaker drivers, and had to fix a couple of issues with it crashing on suspend and using too much power for the CPU (tlp fixed this, Mac has a bad battery so unexpected shutdowns can occur if the processor tries to draw too much).

Aside for a few things that required manual fixes, it's been working more smoothly than I expected. I like Ubuntu/Gnome 3 better than Mac OS (it's very Mac-like but much less cluttered), and it's been snappier than Mac OS has been on a dual core processor.

Anyone else ever installed Linux onto Mac hardware? How well did it run?

Sorry I can't do anything with MAC :-(

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
Power PC? yes, but not on an intel mac. and it ran pretty good.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes SpookyZalost's post:
  • Darth-Apple
Yea, I've heard people have still been able to get fairly modern Linux installs on the G3/G4 Macs too. I'm sure the G5 ones actually wouldn't perform too terribly badly by today's standards (probably about comparable to a Core 2 Duo on the dual CPU models), but those processors were so power hungry that they never could quite get them to be practical in laptops.

That thing was like the Pentium 4 of PowerPC CPUs. It probably was what finally spurred Apple to switch architectures once Intel figured out how to make more power-efficient processors.

(February 13th, 2023 at 2:01 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Yea, I've heard people have still been able to get fairly modern Linux installs on the G3/G4 Macs too. I'm sure the G5 ones actually wouldn't perform too terribly badly by today's standards (probably about comparable to a Core 2 Duo on the dual CPU models), but those processors were so power hungry that they never could quite get them to be practical in laptops.

That thing was like the Pentium 4 of PowerPC CPUs.  It probably was what finally spurred Apple to switch architectures once Intel figured out how to make more power-efficient processors.

Look here 

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apple (apparently) scraps M2 Extreme Mac Pro (again) Darth-Apple 0 872 December 21st, 2022 at 5:16 AM
Last Post: Darth-Apple
  Debian vs Ubuntu... Darth-Apple 42 19,796 December 25th, 2020 at 5:50 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  AMD or Intel Darth-Apple 39 42,360 November 15th, 2020 at 9:53 PM
Last Post: Darth-Apple
  Brand new Mac stolen... Darth-Apple 7 5,540 June 6th, 2019 at 11:46 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost