Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

MentionMe ? Bug?

@darth Apple ??? Is MENTIONME no longer installed? Or a bug?

lg Tc4me

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
Good catch, the plugin is no longer installed and wasn't in the backup. I'll reinstall it at some point tomorrow. Smile

[-] The following 1 user Likes Darth-Apple's post:
  • tc4me
(January 10th, 2023 at 3:56 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Good catch, the plugin is no longer installed and wasn't in the backup. I'll reinstall it at some point tomorrow. Smile
Thanks, think Mention is a great extension :-)

[-] The following 1 user Likes tc4me's post:
  • Darth-Apple
(January 10th, 2023 at 6:04 AM)tc4me Wrote:
(January 10th, 2023 at 3:56 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Good catch, the plugin is no longer installed and wasn't in the backup. I'll reinstall it at some point tomorrow. Smile
Thanks, think Mention is a great extension :-)

Agreed. Still restoring a few things, it's one of several things on the list. We're restoring plugins pretty much one at a time. Smile

Yeah, I ditched MentionMe a while back, because it was no longer being maintained.

A shame, since it was a good plugin, but DVZ mentions is a fine alternative Smile !
[Image: pkmb0Gv.png]

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
(January 10th, 2023 at 6:50 PM)Kyng Wrote: Yeah, I ditched MentionMe a while back, because it was no longer being maintained.

A shame, since it was a good plugin, but DVZ mentions is a fine alternative Smile !

Ahh, forgot about that. Must have been the plugin we were using instead. 

PHP8 is gonna be a nightmare. I need to update all of my own plugins as well.

We've restored Mentions! Ended up using MentionMe instead of DVZ Mentions because the DVZ plugin was causing PHP errors in various sections of the forum. MentionMe seems to be working much better (despite being a much older plugin).

@tc4me @Darth-Apple

[-] The following 3 users Like Darth-Apple's post:
  • Guardian, Kyng, SpookyZalost
(January 11th, 2023 at 12:30 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: We've restored Mentions! Ended up using MentionMe instead of DVZ Mentions because the DVZ plugin was causing PHP errors in various sections of the forum. MentionMe seems to be working much better (despite being a much older plugin).

@tc4me @Darth-Apple

@Darth-Apple PERFEKT !  Big Grin

• Darth-Apple
Glad the mentions are back Big Grin !

I'm not sure why DVZ Mentions was causing PHP errors, since I don't get those. Maybe a different version of PHP?
[Image: pkmb0Gv.png]

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
PHP 7.4 currently. It was throwing missing function errors in some of the files without any obvious cause (there is no evidence of any actual missing functions). I assume it was either conflicting with another namespace in another DVZ plugin or some PHP extension was missing.

Was a very weird issue. I would have looked into it more had MentionMe not worked instead, but the other plugin seems to be working fine. Has autocomplete built-in too, which is a plus.

• tc4me
(January 16th, 2023 at 4:58 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: PHP 7.4 currently. It was throwing missing function errors in some of the files without any obvious cause (there is no evidence of any actual missing functions). I assume it was either conflicting with another namespace in another DVZ plugin or some PHP extension was missing.

Was a very weird issue. I would have looked into it more had MentionMe not worked instead, but the other plugin seems to be working fine. Has autocomplete built-in too, which is a plus.

I'm afraid if my web space provider forces me to switch to PHP8, Mybb itself runs under php8 but many plugins are no longer maintained or adapted to php8

(January 16th, 2023 at 6:40 AM)tc4me Wrote:
(January 16th, 2023 at 4:58 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: PHP 7.4 currently. It was throwing missing function errors in some of the files without any obvious cause (there is no evidence of any actual missing functions). I assume it was either conflicting with another namespace in another DVZ plugin or some PHP extension was missing.

I'm afraid if my web space provider forces me to switch to PHP8, Mybb itself runs under php8 but many plugins are no longer maintained or adapted to php8

Yea, there will be a lot of incompatibilities for sure. Self hosting is probably going to be easier than dealing with PHP8 with the amount of breaking changes they introduced. 

I'm going to be working on updating several of mine in the coming weeks, but there are a lot of other plugin authors as well that also have incompatibilities. PHP7 broke a lot of things too, but it was generally for better reasons. PHP8 is going to be a mess to plan for.

• tc4me
BigeyesBigeyesBigeyes PANIK!!! ATTAK!

• Darth-Apple
What about PHP9?  There is some discussion that this may cause a major revision bump.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like SpookyZalost's post:
  • Darth-Apple, tc4me
(January 17th, 2023 at 8:47 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: What about PHP9?  There is some discussion that this may cause a major revision bump.

These kinds of similar changes are part of what has caused PHP8 to break so many websites. I'd almost rather PHP make all of these changes at once the way that Python 3 did, which would slow adoption but would prevent the mess of support problems that would come with subsequent releases. 

PHP has badly needed an overhaul for a long time (it's a weird language, an empty string is the same as 0, and an empty string with a single space is also evaluated as being "equal" to the numeric 0. These are the sorts of things that very few other languages would ever tolerate.) But the fairly substantial changes that have come with each PHP release have been a lot to try to keep up with. A substantial amount of older code will need to be refactored a good bit.

[-] The following 2 users Like Darth-Apple's post:
  • SpookyZalost, tc4me
the transition will be a disaster
https://www.php.net/manual/de/migration8...atible.php a small part e.g. Simple (non-strict) comparisons between numbers and non-numeric strings are now done by converting the number into a string and comparing the strings. Comparisons between numbers and numeric strings continue to work as before. In particular, this means that 0 == "not a number" is now considered false.

• Darth-Apple