Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Facebook group Meta fined €390 million

The Facebook group Meta must pay a fine of 390 million euros for the use of personal data. The decision goes back to three complaints from 2018.

“Instead of a yes/no option for personalized ads, they simply moved the opt-in clause to the terms and conditions. This is not only unfair, but clearly illegal. We don’t know of any other company that has tried to ignore the General Data Protection Regulation in such an arrogant way,” says Max Schrems, founder of data protection NGO noyb.

In concrete terms, the Facebook group Meta, which also owns the social network Instagram and the messaging service WhatsApp, used personal data to display personalized advertisements.
https://todaytimeslive.com/economy/192668.html

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
Doesn't surprise me. These kinds of companies often think they can get away with violations of these kinds of laws just due to their size. I don't necessarily like when there are too many laws and regulations (sometimes they are made by people who don't understand the industry they are making laws for), but in the case of data privacy, it's something I take fairly seriously.

Facebook has been shady with this stuff for a while.

And yet Facebook doesn't care, the amount of the punishment is for the tip

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
[-] The following 1 user Likes tc4me's post:
  • Darth-Apple
At this point it doesn't surprise me. Hopefully with mastodon and other decentralized social media platforms on the rise this sorta thing won't be possible in the near future.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
Not surprised. Keep fining them until they stop doing all the shady stuff they're doing.