Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Band-O-Gear: My solution to handy pockets and storage.

I know that Bandoliers exist but they aren't designed for what I needed.  I know utility belts exist but they sit upon the waist.  So why not combine both?  Thus one of my projects that I'm always working on is a storage solution that's easy to wear, handy to have, and easy to tinker with.  The Band-O-Gear, a bandolier of pockets and storage!

Here's the original design I came up with based on using a belt as a bandolier and modifying it.
[Image: bchUJBS.png]

It was based on this idea from a cross country Bicycling bag that used to be a thing in the early 2000's.
[Image: qCPxjjn.png]

I took that and ran with it making my own since I couldn't find what I wanted anywhere.
[Image: G9UZRQwl.png]  [Image: UFZjibVl.png]

And as a first version of it so far I have no complains other than it tends to not stay where I want it and shift around as I move.

but I'm working on a Rev 2.

Some notes I have are A: find a way to make it more stable for long duration use. B: Better pocket design (recently learned to work with leather so I'm going to try it out as a material.) and C: more pocket variety... also a larger rear bag and maybe something like a camel back. Gods know I get thirsty tinkering on something for hours and having it right there would be nice.

Also thinking of making Rev 2 a Cross bandolier instead of a single one to add additional pocket attachment points.
[Image: kbhc0gNl.png]

Like this but with various pouches/pockets for holding stuff.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes SpookyZalost's post:
  • Guardian
Going to post an update now that I've had this for a while. and wow has it constantly come in handy. I've since added various tools to it including a complete screwdriver set, some lockpicks, my leatherman which I'm constantly using for stuff, a lighter, a utility knife, some heat shrink, a roll of electrical tape, a magnifier that attaches to my glasses, and for the moment one of the pockets is dedicated to change though I'm looking into a better solution for that. (maybe go old school with a coin changer on my belt?) it really has become like batman's utility belt. Regardless whether it's working on my jeep, helping a client, doing stuff at work, or just installing a new washer and dryer (did that a month ago, woo!) having all my tools in one easy to slip on thing and keeping everything at hand has proven an incredibly handy thing to wear.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]