Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

College took a Turn

I was supposed to graduate this week, but with the coronavirus madness, that didn't happen. I'm going to have to retake most of this semester, and it's going to cost quite a bit of money (to the tune of a few thousand dollars). Money I don't exactly have right now. 

I've spent the past week trying hard to figure out what comes next. It's been an incredibly long journey, and to see myself be here is unsettling. I'll be upset for a week or two and will get back up like a man and face everything all over again, but it looks like I'm taking a lengthy leave of absense from school, or dropping out. Depending on what happens with student loans. 

It could be worse. I have only one semester left, and I will one day go back and finish it. For now, I'm going to focus on my life and try to breathe again. And my main priority will be keeping a roof over my head, and that's hard enough as it is right now. 

But if anything, I feel relieved. I don't think I have it in me to go back in the Fall and to do this all over again.  Undecided

I'll keep you guys updated as decisions change on my end, but only time will tell and I will have to wait. It all hinges on what happens with my tax return in a couple weeks. I'm hoping for the best at this point. Sad

I cross my fingers that everything turns out the best

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
Sad to hear Darth.

With the uncertainty ahead, its a smart move not to keep adding to the loans until the dust settles I think.

You'll be alright, just keep your head up!
@Darth-Apple it's unfortunate when college kinda falls out from under you, more so when you've put in as much time as you have.
hopefully everything works out, and if it's any consolation, the skills you learned there, if you could apply them practically then when the world ends I'm sure you'll be able to use them some how.
this epidemic sucks for everybody.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
I've definitely learned the skills. Heck, I was at my very last semester. Sometimes you just can't do it.

I'm pretty upset about it, but I'll move from this too. Like everything else in life, we aren't promised a smooth sailing journey. Life rears its ugly head sometimes, but in the end, we learn to survive.

Heck, college drop outs are often highly successful five years later. Who knows, I'm still young. I have many years ahead of me, and my story is still being written. There is a reason for this too.

Just gonna roll with it, and try to make the most of it.

(May 13th, 2020 at 3:45 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Heck, college drop outs are often highly successful five years later. Who knows, I'm still young. I have many years ahead of me, and my story is still being written. There is a reason for this too.

I never completed college and I make 6 figures. Confused
@Guardian: I need to take some career pointers from you then. Finna

(May 13th, 2020 at 10:51 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(May 13th, 2020 at 3:45 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Heck, college drop outs are often highly successful five years later. Who knows, I'm still young. I have many years ahead of me, and my story is still being written. There is a reason for this too.

I never completed college and I make 6 figures. Confused

And I never started :-(, the important thing is to just be in the right place at the right time, then the thing will take its course and not sit at home and wait for something to happen. Work, show yourself in public, and you will be discovered

I've always been good at finding my way without school. I decided to take on university largely as a family-pride thing. Nobody in my extended family has ever graduated college in years. None of us even have an associates degree. We are all completely without college.

I felt like I wanted to break the cycle. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. My God, it's too much some times.

There's no shame in it. Jobs are out there. Opportunities are easy to find. Connections are easy to make. If anything, you guys give me hope that life can be done great (if not better) without college. Student loans bring their own problems, and college isn't a golden ticket to success.

That's the way it is, I prefer to work with a smart mind without college than with an idiot with college. (that doesn't mean all college people are idiots now !!!!)

Hard to believe but our politicians also wanted more firefighters with a university degree on the fire department. The attempt failed miserably, because what good does it do if I have firefighters who know in theory how and how long the fire burns or how to save someone, but cannot put it into practice.

(May 14th, 2020 at 3:45 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: @Guardian: I need to take some career pointers from you then. Finna

Tech makes it easy! Cool
I have managed to figure out something for being able to graduate, but it's going to be at least a year before it's possible. All of the events that are taking place are putting a hold on pretty much all of my plans.

The good news is that I'll still be taking at least a couple classes each semester just to keep the ball rolling. Not ready to throw in the towel yet.

Very good, I like that you found a way and didn't give up. That shows your strength Wink

Thank you. I'm definitely frustrated right now, but I'm not one to give up. I've made it too far.

It's honestly for the better that I'm not graduating quite yet. The job market is in so much turmoil right now that my chances of getting a job are slim at this time anyhow. It's for the better that it holds off a bit until more of this blows over.

frustrated is ok, that gives adrenaline to continue, according to the motto, "and now more than ever" you can do it!

Slow and steady wins the race.

As for jobs, those are going to be rough for a lot of people for the foreseeable future. Hopefully things recover quickly.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The College Life Thread Darth-Apple 0 1,607 April 21st, 2020 at 1:21 AM
Last Post: Darth-Apple