Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How did Wordpress get So Popular?

I've used a few different CMSs (content management systems) over the years. Drupal used to be my go to. I really don't know what I was thinking. Drupal is one of the most difficult, least stable (unless you're a developer), and slowest CMSs in existence. It's also losing popularity. But for whatever reason, it worked really well for Simlink and I back when we used to make "filecave" file exchanges for game mods for websites. There wasn't really anything you couldn't do with it. It was pretty powerful once you got the hang of it, and at the time, it was often the only CMS you could use to get the job done if you needed something highly customized.

But I've been playing around with Wordpress now, and wordpress has about a 35% market share of all websites on the internet now. It's a lightweight little package made for blogs, but there is literally not much you can't do with it. It's rock solid. You can install themes, plugins, and updates with a single click. There are thousands of plugins that literally make almost anything possible. You can make social media sites, forums, galleries, corporate websites, or just about anything else. There are an increasing number of mega-corporations that are now using Wordpress over the alternatives.

Have you guys ever used wordpress? Do you think there will be any good alternatives to it in the long run, or is Wordpress sort of remaining the de-facto standard for easy content management systems?

I ask, because I've been messing with Drupal as well. Drupal has about 1/20 of the market share of Wordpress, and it used to be much more popular than it is now. Joomla is not really a realistic alternative, so it kinda seems like there's a ferarri racing against a ton of Altimas. There are alternative CMS', but they aren't really a match. Finna

I also know that JS-frameworks such as Angular, and non-PHP solutions (nodeJS, Django/Flask, etc.) are gaining popularity as well. It will be interesting to see how PHP stacks up against the alternatives in 10 years.

Messages In This Thread
How did Wordpress get So Popular? - by Darth-Apple - March 3rd, 2020 at 10:24 PM
RE: How did Wordpress get So Popular? - by SpookyZalost - March 4th, 2020 at 1:22 AM
RE: How did Wordpress get So Popular? - by Lain - March 4th, 2020 at 1:40 AM
RE: How did Wordpress get So Popular? - by Darth-Apple - March 4th, 2020 at 1:46 AM
RE: How did Wordpress get So Popular? - by Thomas - March 4th, 2020 at 2:33 AM
RE: How did Wordpress get So Popular? - by Divya165 - October 23rd, 2020 at 11:14 AM
RE: How did Wordpress get So Popular? - by Guardian - October 23rd, 2020 at 11:29 AM
RE: How did Wordpress get So Popular? - by Megan - October 23rd, 2020 at 7:02 PM
RE: How did Wordpress get So Popular? - by SpookyZalost - November 16th, 2020 at 5:57 AM
RE: How did Wordpress get So Popular? - by Divya165 - February 20th, 2024 at 6:15 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WordPress simlink 5 9,394 August 14th, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Last Post: Teg