Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Spooky's Jeep Thread

@tc4me yeah, I'm having that all professionally done since I lack the tools to straighten the frame.
If it helps any the handling was fine when It was being towed home.  We didn't use a tow truck, we hooked it up to a tow chain and pulled it behind an SUV with me driving the Jeep.

Ok so today I replaced that fan pulley.  No more squeak due to a seized pulley!  Now I need to replace the AC condenser and the transmission cooler along with a set of fans.  The big thing though is I have the engine running without issue.  Considering I hit a concrete and steel pillar... Yeah.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
(June 26th, 2020 at 12:59 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: @tc4me yeah, I'm having that all professionally done since I lack the tools to straighten the frame.
If it helps any the handling was fine when It was being towed home.  We didn't use a tow truck, we hooked it up to a tow chain and pulled it behind an SUV with me driving the Jeep.

Ok so today I replaced that fan pulley.  No more squeak due to a seized pulley!  Now I need to replace the AC condenser and the transmission cooler along with a set of fans.  The big thing though is I have the engine running without issue.  Considering I hit a concrete and steel pillar... Yeah.

Wink
PERFEKT

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
So I tried to remove the Transmission cooler.

the factory transmission cooling lines have pressed on fittings.

Luckily I can cut it off and splice new tubing on there and install the new fittings as needed!

just have to get some barb fittings to fit the splice, and some hose clamps.

so I'm doing that tomorrow morning.

if I'm still stuck, I have an appointment with a local mechanic for next week who is wiling to work on it despite my repairs. Big Grin

But I'm not anticipating any issues.
So I ended up getting the job done myself, got the fans on today, now I need to make a wiring harness since I'm going with dual electric fans instead of one electric one mechanical.  No complaints so far though.  I'm going to be getting a few things for the harness including a fuse for the second fan.

Once that's all on I can do some working tests to weed out any remaining problems and fix the ac system.  Then have the front forks straightened before installing a new front bumper.

Regarding the bumper, I was going to go stock with it... however I'm actually thinking of installing something like this.
[Image: bumper-005.jpg]

It should have a higher impact tolerance and I'll be able to mount a winch to it and possibly a snow plow attachment later.  Why a plow? Well the city does a terrible job at clearing the streets, it's actually part of what caused the accident!
That and I want to buy some land up the hill from here in the near future and a plow would make it easier getting in and out.
That would look nice.

Good to hear progress.
It's funny, everything I've learned in the last few years is being put to the test lately, from the water heater to my jeep, to the doorframes around the house.

it's like I'm being tested now that I'm not doing anything due to the pandemic... not that I mind, I'm finding there's few if anything I cannot figure out or apply my current skills to fix, it's actually refreshing since I can feel confident that I'll have little to no problems moving forward.

after my jeep I'm replacing the dishwasher since I can use it to bring the new one home Tongue
That's good stuff! Skills are always useful, and save you a boatload of money in the long run.
So here's the diagram I'm using for the wiring harness.

it's from a website from way back when personal websites were still a thing, it's hosted on angelfire, one of the OG's of personal website hosting.

[Image: nPT1FsG.png]

I've made some minor tweaks to better show how the circuit should be laid out, and I'll be doing the soldering tomorrow, fingers crossed this all works otherwise I'm going to have to give up and go back to a mechanical fan.
Update: finally got everything I needed to make the circuit and wiring harness, now I just need to figure out the +/- of the wires connecting the fans to their plugs so I can make their part of the harness.

here's the actual relay and fuse circuit which I put in this nifty protective box I got at home depot.

[Image: BWcqm8ol.jpg]

the zip tie is actually acting as a strain relief, a nifty trick I picked up from various DIY projects over the years.

[Image: M1NDAdXl.jpg]

I ended up picking a special bit for my drill to make that hole, well worth it Tongue
So I finally had some time to get the grille on today, had my sister helping me which was nice.

so here's where the jeep is at now.

[Image: QLap32J.jpg]

it still needs a bumper, but the engine works after all the effort I put into fixing it, and the electric fans are setup and working, that relay setup I made works well.

for a reminder this is what I started with
http://makestation.net/thread-2217-post-...l#pid19331

honestly I've come a long way and while the climate control system is shot my goal was the get the vehicle running.

the climate control btw needs to be repaired by a professional as it turns out because it uses freeon, but everything on it should be fine except the AC condenser which I decided was too damaged and cut off with a hacksaw.

btw, it wasn't leaking from the AC condenser as when I cut into the pipe on it with the hacksaw it started venting cold freeon gas but the condenser was too bent up and mangled to be used.
So I got the jeep running and the knocking to stop by flushing the oil and topping the engine up with clean oil before checking and tightened up any pulleys I missed to the torque settings in the factory manual.

Now I just need to figure out what's causing a misfire.
Looking VERY nice! Looks like it's coming along very nicely! Outside of the A/C compressor of course, hope all of that works out well!

@Darth-Apple thanks, yeah the engine still sounds a bit rough so I'm really hoping a second opinion can sort all this out.

the AC repairs would set me back another $600 and with winter coming I'm not worried about it right now...
I'm seriously considering unplugging the compressor until I get around to getting it fixed.
So as it turns out there's a huge oil leak from the cracked timing chain cover.

the mechanic told me that if I replace it he can do the flush then, but effectively the engine isn't maintaining oil pressure.

no biggie, just need to remove the harmonic balancer and swap the cover and gasket.

so I've got the cover ordered and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.

hopefully I'll have this taken care of and I can maybe get the jeep in next week?

though if this solves it I'll see if I can get it past emissions first and get it on the road to save time, while I'm there I'm also going to check the timing chain since I'll have access to it.

oh, and the mechanic didn't charge me anything this time after finding the problem with the timing cover, so I'm definitely going back, not only has he been up front with me but the costs were reasonable when we were discussing things yesterday.

also that knocking sound stopped while I was driving it but it was just a sticky valve lifter so that's why i'm going to have the engine flushed and stuff.
okay, so are we back in business ?
Sports fanatic
@brian51 better than I was last week, the engine is functional with nothing obvious other than the timing cover, the sticky valve is a treatable problem, and barring any sudden problems I'm expecting to have it up and on the road by next week.
this is all very good news.
You are to be commended by your diligence in sticking with this !
Sports fanatic
@brian51 the good news is, there's no oil leaks or other obvious problems other than that sticky valve that seems to have solved it's self and the oil pressure issue having to do with the crack in the timing cover which I'm fixing sunday.

it feels good to have gotten this far though and I'm excited to finally be rewarded for my efforts.