Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Long shifts

I work at a place where you never know how long your shift will be. Some would say it's a bad thing, but on busy days, the money that is made is all worth it. That said, I have worked a couple of 14 hour shifts, and I can't say they have been the most pleasant ever. Tongue

What is the longest shift you have ever worked? 

What type of environment do you work in?
I used to work 2 jobs for a while. I'd work a 6 and a half hour shift at one job then go work an 8 and a half hour shift at the next job in the same day. It was no fun at all. I finally quit the 2nd job.
(November 22nd, 2014 at 10:14 PM)theezy Wrote: I used to work 2 jobs for a while.  I'd work a 6 and a half hour shift at one job then go work an 8 and a half hour shift at the next job in the same day.  It was no fun at all.  I finally quit the 2nd job.

That's a good 15 hours straight right there. How many hours did you work in a week? 

Longest shift I've worked is about the norm, which is about somewhere between six to eight hours. Being sixteen, I was only permitted to work so much (still am sixteen, if you got the impression that I wasn't) Smile.
(November 24th, 2014 at 11:47 AM)CapTon Wrote: Longest shift I've worked is about the norm, which is about somewhere between six to eight hours. Being sixteen, I was only permitted to work so much (still am sixteen, if you got the impression that I wasn't) Smile.

I got the impression that you were 9. (jk) Tongue

On a more serious note, it's not bad that the shifts were restricted to eight hours. I've always liked longer shifts (within reason) because you make better money, but it will take its toll. For me, my limit is still around 10 hours or so before I start to get a bit worn out for the day. 

(November 23rd, 2014 at 4:19 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote:
(November 22nd, 2014 at 10:14 PM)theezy Wrote: I used to work 2 jobs for a while.  I'd work a 6 and a half hour shift at one job then go work an 8 and a half hour shift at the next job in the same day.  It was no fun at all.  I finally quit the 2nd job.

That's a good 15 hours straight right there. How many hours did you work in a week? 

One was an on-call job so it was never the same. Sometimes I would work both jobs 5 days a week and sometimes 1 or 2 days a week.
I work 10 hours a day 4 days a week, but I get 3 days weekends so it balances out, sure it feels long sometimes but I've gotten used to it so it's not all bad, just mentally exhausting sometimes.
I worked 12 hour shifts for a few years. It was stressful at times but it definitely had it's benefits. Like, getting the work week out of the way soonest.
Did you work fewer days during the week? I didn't mind ever having extra days off.

Right now I've got a set schedule at my day job, monday-friday, nine hour shifts. I don't mind it and the money is alright. Still have a side hustle that i work in the evenings sometimes. i come home tired afterwards.

Right now i'm working 60-70 a week. Safe to say i'm fairly busy... Sad

(May 20th, 2017 at 1:14 AM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: Did you work fewer days during the week? I didn't mind ever having extra days off.

Right now I've got a set schedule at my day job, monday-friday, nine hour shifts. I don't mind it and the money is alright. Still have a side hustle that i work in the evenings sometimes. i come home tired afterwards.

Right now i'm working 60-70 a week. Safe to say i'm fairly busy... Sad

Yep, just a 4 day workweek. Occasionally you got lucky with a 3 day week. Those were great! 

Stuck on 8.5s right now. Sometimes I think I get tired with that but I remember the months I had of 12-on/12-off with no days off. 

Yeah, it is pretty preoccupying. Hope it's helping you achieve your goals. 
honestly given my 3 day weekends I'm thinking about picking up side jobs fixing stuff for people like troubleshooting home theaters and whatnot.
I used to do it for geekatoo but that didn't pan out in the end due to them loosing out to geeksquad out here.
Oh you used to work for the geek squad? Neat!

I have a few friends that work for Best Buy. I've heard mixed opinions... Tongue

(May 20th, 2017 at 6:42 PM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: Oh you used to work for the geek squad? Neat!

I have a few friends that work for Best Buy. I've heard mixed opinions... Tongue

no actually, they were my competitor  Smile

I really don't like them  Undecided while I actually tired to fix existing stuff their usual response was to half a** stuff and convince people to buy replacements and upgrades they really didn't need to get what they actually wanted.

more often then not I was cleaning up their messes and providing people with a second opinion on the matter.
so much so that one time I went to someone's house just to find out after talking to comcast that best buy/geeksquad had setup their home theater system backwards, AND given them the wrong remotes for their cable TV box, after 30 min adjusting the inputs and 15 min on the phone with comcast tech support I got it sorted but it was a nightmare.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How long do you take in shower? wasi90lk 4 7,850 May 6th, 2014 at 3:24 AM
Last Post: Acko