Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[software development] File exchange software

It's been a nice few days, and a significant amount of progress has been made. The database-based settings system and the very simple "API" is going very nicely, although a lot of settings are still left to move around and code. The good news is that the system in place works well, and that's a good starting point.

The Mod CP
The Mod CP and approval system is working very nicely. The only thing that's really left to do is to make the mod CP page itself look nice, which hasn't been done yet, but the overall functionality is working very well.

Basically, when a category is created, you will have the option to either require or not to require approval on new uploads. (See screenshot below)

[Image: as2l.png]
(click for full size)

If a category requires approval, an upload will not immediately be visible publicly. Only administrators and moderators will be able to view the upload, which will allow a moderator to carefully review a submission before approving it. A moderator can, in turn, either delete the upload completely, leave it unapproved, or approve it, allowing it to then be displayed publicly.

[Image: x801.png]
(click for full size)

The Code

I realized pretty early on in the project that some of my early framework decisions weren't the best. As a result, the constant effort to recode significant portions of the code continues. The work won't be done in time for the next POC release, but certainly significant improvements are being made.

Even in the notifications, API improvements are being made. I'm setting up a new set of notifications functions that will allow me to, with one line of code, immediately add a notification and know that it will appear in a certain place on the page and appear in the correct format. That alone will be quite an improvement! Tongue

I have been fixing a number of bugs, including an annoying bug that caused .zip files not to be able to be uploaded. This has (thankfully) been fixed. Also, various other bugs, including the home menu, ACP related bugs, and more have been fixed. The main known issue left is to fix the login/logout system, which is functional, but is a bit buggy. The login/logout system did not use many of the same API functions that I had coded for other features of the script, so it behaves a little oddly. I'm still looking into recoding the user control panel/login system to behave more appropriately.

The ACP (which was shown in a screenshot above) is still quite a mess. With the frontend, I focused on getting the framework set up first, then the functionality, but I'm quite literally doing the opposite with the backend. I'm programming functionality in before the visual framework, so be prepared for a rough backend for a while.

Either way, stay tuned! I'll be releasing more updates shortly!

Messages In This Thread
RE: [software development] File exchange software - by lookforuu - September 20th, 2013 at 6:34 PM
RE: [software development] File exchange software - by Acko - January 29th, 2014 at 7:49 PM
RE: [software development] File exchange software - by Darth-Apple - January 30th, 2014 at 7:13 PM
RE: [software development] File exchange software - by Acko - January 31st, 2014 at 12:02 AM
RE: [software development] File exchange software - by brian51 - February 18th, 2014 at 1:20 AM