Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A forum with an odd twist as an experiment?

Undoubtedly, social networking has become much more popular in recent times. The popularity of traditional forums seems to slowly be decreasing as a result, and I think that the market for something "new" is growing stronger.

Software options such as Xenforo have been new and innovative, but options such as discourse or oxwall seem to be redefining what forum software is. I will say, I'm not personally a fan of discourse, but I do like the innovation that's going on. Forum software today is just too complicated, and all of the extra features get in the way of pure discussion.

I was thinking about either downloading a very simple forum software solution and modifying it, or building a custom forum software solution to have only the absolute bare essentials. I think it would be interesting to see what would happen if everything about the a forum was centered around discussion, and only discussion. I'd also like to try it as an experiment as far as community management when decisions are all brought to a public petition.

Obviously, this is only an idea, but I would definitely be interested in seeing what could be done if a complete rethinking of forum software were to take place. What do you think would make such an experiment successful? In what ways could forum software today be improved for a modern world?

Messages In This Thread
A forum with an odd twist as an experiment? - by Darth-Apple - August 17th, 2013 at 8:22 PM
RE: A forum with an odd twist as an experiment? - by Agandl - August 21st, 2013 at 12:53 PM
RE: A forum with an odd twist as an experiment? - by simlink - August 23rd, 2013 at 8:00 PM
RE: A forum with an odd twist as an experiment? - by Agandl - August 24th, 2013 at 9:51 PM
RE: A forum with an odd twist as an experiment? - by AtlasWest - September 18th, 2013 at 11:10 PM
RE: A forum with an odd twist as an experiment? - by Darth-Apple - September 19th, 2013 at 1:14 AM
RE: A forum with an odd twist as an experiment? - by Warwick - September 22nd, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forum software with a new twist? Darth-Apple 23 31,393 August 3rd, 2019 at 2:32 AM
Last Post: Thomas