Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[Informational] Zalost's general guide to cables and how to make them.

So I've talked a bit previously about how to make your basic cables, crimping, soldering, stripping, splicing, etc.  The next part is going to be a more broad overview, let's call it: Advanced Connectors and specialty tools.

Now you know about one type of specialty tool I covered regarding Registered jack type cables.  These don't need stripping for the inner wires and the connectors bite into the cable once you crimp the connector on the end.  That's one example.  Then you have your standard cable Crimping tool used for putting standard end connectors onto cables such as the one I demonstrated on the leatherman wave multitool I use pretty much daily.  That kind is more for boxy or angular crimping ends like you see on automotive equipment, industrial equipment, and flat end terminals.

But what about different kinds of connectors besides those?  Let's start with a pretty common one.  This one is commonly called a circular crimper or DMC crimper.
[Image: exTdm4r.png]

It's also known as a Milspec Crimping Tool.  it works similarly to the previous two shown examples however this one applies pressure to all sides of a connector when crimping it onto the end of a wire.  These are great for rounded pins such as is used in Milspec (aka amphenol or Aerospace) cables, Din Cables, VGA cables, And Molex Connectors will sometimes have these instead of the more standard box or V type crimping surface. 
[Image: Bjc68sr.png]

These are great because you can make them fairly easily and the connectors are usually pretty robust.  with just the three listed so far you can make just about any kind of cable you want and Milspec is great for applications where you want something to both easily disconnect but also lock down and secure thanks to it's screwdown terminal nut.

But what if you have a cable with pins and the wires are damaged or you want to change how the connections are laid out?  Well I've got great news for you.  There's a variety of tools to remove those pins which push down the locking tabs making them easy to remove and replace.  They come in a variety of designs from something resembling a screwdriver to a set that fit on a keyring and look like these.
[Image: HQ5UELY.png]

To remove a pin from your cable connector you simply insert the removal tool in the front, it pushes down the tabs, and it pops right out.  You can't use these on RJ type connectors however, but those are fairly cheap to repair/replace, just lop off the bad connector, strip the wires, crimp on a new one.  This is why we leave some extra cable length.  To cheaply and quickly repair stuff like that.

Milspec cables also need a special tool for both inserting and removing pins.  These look like this.
[Image: caJKEY1.png]

You can install new pins in a milspec connector or remove them depending on which side you use and they're purpose built to slide into the pin sockets which are very tightly spaced to deal with environmental changes.

Now there are a variety of cables and connectors too.
Milspec of course is great for low voltage/amperage/gauge bundles of wire run outside or in an environment that would undergo a lot of stress such as the inside of your engine bay.  It's one reason spots car enthusiasts use them for high end performance connections.  Easy to connect, easy to remove, fairly robust, and can handle a wide range of temperatures from -65 to 250 degrees Celsius. That's  -85 to 482 Fahrenheit and if your engine or environment is getting that hot it's likely on fire.  Any colder and you're likely in space or somewhere else that requires something more specialized. 

But for on earth these cannot be beat for Low voltage/amperage/gauge cabling such as data or signaling wire between the inside of your engine bay and the inside of the cabin.  You'll often find these cost a little more so use them wisely.
[Image: DZgaXj7.png]

Then you have DIN connectors which are similar to milspec but are more for civilian use applications such as PS/2 Cables (keyboards and mice).  Microphone Cables, and S-Video cables which are all likely examples most people are familiar with.
[Image: Gwj6YyL.png] [Image: f9EET4r.png]

Getting away from circular cables you also have DB style which have a number to indicate the number of pins.  These are used in VGA, CGA, SVGA, Serial, Parralel port.  And other similar style connectors.
[Image: gRwHt5B.png] [Image: IonW5w0.png]

These are all data cables, they are low voltage/amperage/gauge connectors which can be constructed/modified using the methods and tools listed so far.  But what about power?

For that we have Molex connectors as a classic example.
[Image: kBWZtvR.png]

There are a wide variety of Molex style power cables and they've become the defacto standard in power connectors.
[Image: Jr7nHc9.png] [Image: x3S068h.png] [Image: sCsObfS.png]

As an additional note.  If you're going to make cables and connectors I highly recommend bundling the wires together and sealing the connector end with heatshrink to help seal it once you've finished constructing it.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like SpookyZalost's post:
  • Guardian, tc4me

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Informational] Zalost's general guide to cables and how to make them. - by SpookyZalost - January 26th, 2023 at 3:21 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Informational] The 7 basic logic gates (repost) SpookyZalost 0 1,024 July 15th, 2021 at 9:32 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  [Informational] How to read Resistors. SpookyZalost 0 1,211 April 10th, 2021 at 12:45 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  Console Modding: RGB modding old consoles part 1: Cables. SpookyZalost 6 8,942 February 27th, 2018 at 3:39 AM
Last Post: brian51