Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hotlinking/bandwidth theft

I saw out bandwidth usage shot up by nearly 400% last month. Tried to figure out why and was setting up advanced stats to see. While I was it, I changed the server configuration to disable hotlinking to our theme images. (I have to do this on a per directory basis because there are certain images that we are allowing this for.) 

Outgoing bandwidth (transfer/hour) instantly dropped to about 1/3 of what it was. There might be other images being hot linked, but someone is stealing our images somewhere (presumably they didn’t upload them to their own site and instead linked to ours). And it’s not even like we have anything special. Most of it is the MyBB default icon set. Tongue

It’s a common problem on the internet. It’s a rabbit chase to try to stop it completely. But for now, this game of whack a mole was caught. For now. Finna

Messages In This Thread
Hotlinking/bandwidth theft - by Darth-Apple - February 3rd, 2021 at 6:03 PM
RE: Hotlinking/bandwidth theft - by SpookyZalost - February 3rd, 2021 at 6:17 PM
RE: Hotlinking/bandwidth theft - by Kyng - February 3rd, 2021 at 7:16 PM
RE: Hotlinking/bandwidth theft - by Darth-Apple - February 3rd, 2021 at 7:26 PM
RE: Hotlinking/bandwidth theft - by Kyng - February 3rd, 2021 at 7:37 PM
RE: Hotlinking/bandwidth theft - by Guardian - February 3rd, 2021 at 9:11 PM
RE: Hotlinking/bandwidth theft - by Darth-Apple - February 3rd, 2021 at 9:24 PM
RE: Hotlinking/bandwidth theft - by SpookyZalost - February 4th, 2021 at 4:33 AM
RE: Hotlinking/bandwidth theft - by Darth-Apple - February 4th, 2021 at 5:12 AM
RE: Hotlinking/bandwidth theft - by Thomas - February 4th, 2021 at 5:27 AM
RE: Hotlinking/bandwidth theft - by Darth-Apple - February 5th, 2021 at 5:39 AM