Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Where are forums going in the 20s?

I'm just going to call this decade the 20s. I think this year kicked it off. We've been through enough. Here we go. Finna 

Anyway, I've noticed a lot has changed. Most free softwares have sort of fallen by the wayside. Those that are still running free forums are running simpler (not more advanced) communities, almost with fewer features. 

MyBB's support forum is only a shadow of its old self. It's still alive and has a dedicated following, and a number of developers still contribute plugins and themes. But the software itself lacks responsiveness and basic features that come with more modern softwares, so it's been difficult for them to attract the new users they deserve. I absolutely love MyBB, so it's a bit of a shame that it seems slower. It seems that it doesn't have the fire it once did though, and I hope that this can change in the long term. 

Forums have really been taken over by more modernized solutions, such as Facebook groups. FB groups is huge. I actually thought long and hard about making a presence for MS on FB groups, but my fear is that it would detract from the actual forum itself. We will probably expand long-term into more modernized solutions, but the makestation.net forum is the absolute first priority, and we won't do anything to the detriment of this forum. 

That being said, it truly seems that the landscape has changed. The opportunities that were available to us when MS was founded in 2013 just don't seem to be as plentiful now. 

What are your thoughts? Where are forums going in this next decade?

Messages In This Thread
Where are forums going in the 20s? - by Darth-Apple - October 21st, 2020 at 1:42 AM
RE: Where are forums going in the 20s? - by Guardian - October 21st, 2020 at 12:26 PM
RE: Where are forums going in the 20s? - by Kyng - October 21st, 2020 at 10:27 PM
RE: Where are forums going in the 20s? - by tc4me - October 22nd, 2020 at 4:29 AM