Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Proboards done Goofed

Proboards is one of the largest (if not the largest) free forum host on the internet. They wrote their software from the ground up, and it's actually not bad (albeit somewhat outdated), but the problem isn't the software or the size. It's the policies. 

They lock down content so tightly that it is illegal to even attempt to get your content off. Users "own" their individual content (not ordinarily a bad thing), BUT they OWN it so tightly that if an administrator ever wants to move to a different host, they, legally, have to request permission from EVERY single user that has posted, write a crawler/scraper, and get ONLY the posts for which the permission has been granted onto their new host. And there is no database export option.

It's gone a little far. Forumotion was similar back in the day, but at least they didn't have licensing gotchas that could have gotten you sued back in the day. They don't allow it, per se, but people have used them many times, so it's at least possible to move to a different host if you ever need to have it done.

Anyway, I found this recently. It's quite literally proboards. Exact same software and all, but "for businesses"

https://www.forums.net/pricing

I'm sorry, but if I have $200/month, I'm going straight to IP.Community and paying them 1/10 that amount to host on REAL paid software instead. End of story. Finna

Messages In This Thread
Proboards done Goofed - by Darth-Apple - March 22nd, 2020 at 1:47 PM
RE: Proboards done Goofed - by Guardian - March 22nd, 2020 at 5:19 PM
RE: Proboards done Goofed - by Lain - March 22nd, 2020 at 6:03 PM
RE: Proboards done Goofed - by Darth-Apple - March 22nd, 2020 at 6:05 PM
RE: Proboards done Goofed - by Lain - March 22nd, 2020 at 6:58 PM
RE: Proboards done Goofed - by Darth-Apple - March 22nd, 2020 at 7:16 PM
RE: Proboards done Goofed - by cunning - March 23rd, 2020 at 6:45 PM
RE: Proboards done Goofed - by Darth-Apple - March 23rd, 2020 at 11:28 PM