Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is Simcity really worth buying?

I'll admit, I have been a longstanding fan of the series (as have quite a few members here). Simcity 4 was well done for its time, and is still a fun game today, but we're talking about a game that's well over a decade old. To be honest, I might be speechless if the gameplay mechanics of Simcity 4 were combined with the city sizes and graphics of Cities XL. Unfortunately, both have now become boring to me after what was probably too many long hours of gameplay.

I've posted some stuff regarding Cities XL on the forums, and I'll say, it's actually a pretty fun game. It does get boring once you reach a certain goal because there is little left to really achieve in the game, but it's fun for a while, and it's worth the price tag for the amazing graphics you get. That said, the community isn't as good, the game can't handle large cities well, and the gameplay mechanics are only fair at best. 

I'm not going to necessarily write off the new Simcity because of its mechanics. I like online gameplay, and at least, from what I hear, it makes you feel like you're really a part of your city. However, it's been a while since I followed the series, and I don't know where it's at now that offline mode has been implemented, and a good 10+ patches have been released. 

Is it worth $30 to buy the game for what it is? I would have tried the trial, but it didn't start under WINE and I'm not booting into Windows just to spend five hours downloading files for two hours of gameplay. Tongue

Messages In This Thread
Is Simcity really worth buying? - by Darth-Apple - November 8th, 2014 at 4:58 AM
RE: Is Simcity really worth buying? - by Thomas - February 21st, 2015 at 7:08 PM
RE: Is Simcity really worth buying? - by Darth-Apple - February 21st, 2015 at 7:16 PM
RE: Is Simcity really worth buying? - by Thomas - February 21st, 2015 at 7:18 PM
RE: Is Simcity really worth buying? - by Darth-Apple - February 21st, 2015 at 7:44 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are modern integrated graphics really good enough? Darth-Apple 8 9,883 May 16th, 2018 at 11:40 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  Any Simcity fans here? Darth-Apple 15 27,152 December 28th, 2013 at 5:52 AM
Last Post: Darth-Apple