Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread

I wouldn't be surprised.

And apparently registrations are still disabled as they "make upgrades" to the site or words to that effect Tongue
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
Who knows what's really going on?

Well I guess they have bad technicians, as usual. Tongue

Haven't seen any update from them in seven days... still waiting
[url=http://www.createaforum.com">Free Forum Hosting[/url]
I agree, it's pretty annoying. I think it's still an improvement from their error pages and FTP indexes that they had for three weeks prior, but still, "upgrading" doesn't give any acceptable explanation for a full week of downtime.

The problem is that they are a real forum host, and real people are trying to make successful forums. Makestation had a one day outage recently due to a host issue, and it took a few days for activity to really recover. If one day can harm activity, three weeks definitely will. That kind of thing will kill any forum easily. All I can say is that hopefully this "new server" they are working on pays off. Either way I definitely won't be trusting them any time soon.

If it weren't for an awesome supportive memberbase, Simopsis would have been killed by SMFnew. Activity took a really long time to recover after their outage in October. And then when things started to go wankey again, activity dropped off again. The move to IcyBoards saw a decline in activity which only recently started to recover. Simopsis would probably be somewhat further along if it weren't for these clowns. Probably closer to 3000+ posts.
[Image: 3GnR8g1.jpg]
(July 1st, 2013 at 10:09 PM)simlink link Wrote: If it weren't for an awesome supportive memberbase, Simopsis would have been killed by SMFnew. Activity took a really long time to recover after their outage in October. And then when things started to go wankey again, activity dropped off again. The move to IcyBoards saw a decline in activity which only recently started to recover. Simopsis would probably be somewhat further along if it weren't for these clowns. Probably closer to 3000+ posts.

Wow, so that's why Simopsis became so inactive. Sorry to hear how SMFnew has ruined your activity Sad
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
It's unfortunate. Right when SMP hit its stride (November - about 700 posts in one month) they had problems again. It also cancelled a planned upgrade of the site that would have seen blogs, and an integrated SPEX. I'm convinced SMP would have been much better of if smfnew wasn't such a joke. People just stopped visiting. Can't say I blame them.
It definitely does make a big difference. Thankfully icyboards is better about stuff like that.

Yea, though I still go "Oh what now" when there is a few minute hiccup on IB thanks to smfnew. Not IB's fault at all - just used to horrid downtime.  :-X
Agreed. It takes some getting used to for sure haha.

This is pretty sad, but they are still "upgrading".

Are you honestly surprised, though? They are a complete joke.
Not really haha. Nobody should be surprised.

Uh Oh, Database Error!

...more like Uh Oh, We Still Suck! We've Been Out For 3 Months!
Forums are back online, at least 2 I know of. The support forum isn't though. xD
I have lost respect for the company. Chances are the forums will be back down soon, especially if the support forum is still gone.

For a second I thought you said you have lots of respect, not lost respect. That was sort of a "Um, huh?" moment. Tongue
Yea, I wouldn't trust them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The general webhost discussion thread Darth-Apple 14 22,011 September 6th, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Last Post: Hoolio