Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread

Would NOT want to be SMFNew, haha. That's why I stick to web designs: the client gets what they want and I don't have to provide PHP/MySQL/server support except for uploading the design, LOL.
Providing the PHP/MySQL/Apache or Nginx support is definitely a lot to maintain. I love maintaining servers, but it comes at a high cost in terms of time.

That's just a part of the price of running any kind of website, and certainly the price of running a forum host though. A few hours of downtime is no big deal, but if the site is down more than it's up, that's a serious problem.

Oh look. the databases and database backups are exposed again Tongue
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
Oh look, they fixed that again. Now it's a database error page haha. Tongue

So glad Simopsis moved when it did. The site may not be busy right now but it at least isn't dead. Man they have fallen fast.
[Image: 3GnR8g1.jpg]
Oh look, it's broken again. I see the databases. Tongue
That place is so screwed. They don't even bother to make any announcement whatsoever. Wow... Just wow.

It's all just speculation at this point, but I'm really wondering if the team is just letting it die on purpose. Perhaps they are going to create a new forum host in the future. Who knows? Either way it's a mess.

Yea... this has just gotten sad.
I mostly just feel bad for anyone who still has a forum hosted with them. The users of SMFnew are more screwed than anyone else at this point. :/

SMFNEW LIVES... SOMEHOW. Tongue
Their support forum is back online.
Quote:It had to do with a server move. It kind of mucked up a bit, we expected it to go rather smoothly, but sadly it didn't. I'll post a more in-depth sticky when I get all the details. We are really sorry for this such unexpected downtime, we REALLY didn't mean for it to happen. I apologise that we didn't really keep you all up-to-date with what we were working on. We're working on some things that should make our operation run much more efficiently than it currently is, so if we have any future downtime, we should be able to get everything back up quicker, and we should be able to keep you all up-to-date.

As for your forums being back up, I've been informed that Todd is working with the server techs right now to get them back up ASAP.

Again, we very sincerely apologise for the downtime and lack of updates for you all! We hope the coming months, and even years, will make it up to you! Smile

They didn't mention all of the apparent database theft.

They just stink.
I would not want SMFnew to be the Desker Suite free forum host:

http://makestation.net/index.php?topic=180

Then again, I plan to sell hosting for it. Tongue
The SMFnew support forums are.. kindof.. working.
It just has a page that says "upgrading" in bold without any font or styling.
Lovely Tongue
Improvement! Big Grin

Perhaps SMFNew could offer free Desker hostin - wait, no. LOL

( if you don't know what I'm referencing, Desker Suite is a forum software I'm making at http://deskersoft.net/ ).
They are still "upgrading". Tongue

Probably codeword for 'downgrading'  :Smile
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The general webhost discussion thread Darth-Apple 14 22,013 September 6th, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Last Post: Hoolio