Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread

irc.esper.net
#smfnoobs

Dang it blake. Ninja'd
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
hmm.. unknown host Tongue
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
use /attach, not connect irc.esper.net in chatzilla
then /join #smfnoobs
(if in chatzilla)

Except I'm using xchat Tongue
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
In xchat, you'll have to add the server manually. Add the network "Espernet" and add the server as "irc.esper.net/6667" and connect. If the firewall gives you problems, allow xchat to use 6667.

I wonder if the createaforum owner will see #smfnoob?

Most people will probably think it's an SMF support channel haha Tongue

You might want to add an motd for the channel, that describes the channel's niche, if you can.

I probably will pretty soon. I think it would be helpful. I don't think it will be a long-term thing though. SMFnew probably won't be around for much longer anyway haha. Tongue

Probably not. Then we can either adapt (turn it into an unofficial SMF support channel) or abandon (just create #makestation Tongue)

Well, they've finally figured something out. You get 403 Forbidden now. Tongue
[Image: 3GnR8g1.jpg]
Yay! Tongue

Yeah, apparently shutting down the server like 1 week AFTER you go down is the best idea  :Smile

Hey, it's better than account theft. Tongue

I still get a 403 error when I access the site. Their apache stuff doesn't look like it's bricked so badly to causce that, judging from the message displayed. I think they just chmoded all of their files to deny read permissions to the files. In filezilla that's like a 30 second task.

Let's be clear. For makestation, first, I never keep database backups in my www directory, period. Second, if the server ever got that bricked that the file directories were all exposed like that, I would chmod everything to deny all permissions before two weeks into downtime. Not only that, but I'd kill some processes like nginx (we're using nginx our replacement for apache) to prevent issues entirely. Instead of wasting weeks of time, I'd fix my PHP installation first thing.

And hopefully they are using unmanaged servers too. If they are, it's way too easy to store your database backups outside of the www directory so they aren't open to the public. Simple, easy, no problems. if their servers are managed, the whole thing with their files being public like that probably isn't their fault, but honestly if that's the case, they should have switched hosts a long time ago, so they are still to blame ultimately.

Honestly I do think they'll be back. They have had multiple incarnations already, and their downtime problems have been an issue for years and people have put up with it. I doubt the next incarnation will be "SMFnew" though. One thing is for sure. The SMFnew name is forever shamed.

So when do you think they will be back??? Looks like issues for a month now....I really think they have no idea how to fix it.
[url=http://www.createaforum.com">Free Forum Hosting[/url]
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they didn't come back. I don't think anyone really wants them to come back, to be honest. From the looks of it, they finally dug their grave.

Edit: just checked, and now they are getting PHP errors when you visit their homepage... wow. That's just sad.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The general webhost discussion thread Darth-Apple 14 21,650 September 6th, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Last Post: Hoolio