Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[Debate] Electric vehicles How quickly they heat in winter?

In a car with a combustion engine, it is easy to understand why it takes quite a long time in winter for the interior to warm up - up to 15 minutes. After all, the engine first has to heat up the cooling water. It's different in an electric vehicle: Here the heat comes from the electric heater, so it should actually be much faster, right? Not really. Sometimes it feels like an eternity.

Fans of eternal ice can already try the heated flops Fiat 500e, Renault Zoe, Tesla Model Y and VW e-up! deal with They are the losers in the ADAC comparison test, which parked e-cars in the cold chamber at minus ten degrees. The aforementioned frostbite needed more than 30 minutes until the front seats reached 20 degrees.

Warm air blows out of the vents fairly quickly on all of the candidates tested - it just brings a different amount.

Blessed are those who can climb into a BMW iX after a bitterly cold winter night. A feel-good atmosphere prevailed here after just 20 minutes. VW ID.3 and Hyundai Kona Elektro needed more than 20 minutes for this.

Particularly noticeable: some vehicles did not manage to get the rear warm even after 30 minutes of continuous heating. The manufacturers sometimes save on the air vents or pursue inadequate heating strategies.

differences in insulation
There are also differences when it comes to thermal insulation: in some vehicles, the temperature drops much more slowly than in others. This is important for short stops, because less energy is required to heat it up again, which means that the range is protected more. In the test, BMW and VW performed best in this regard - with an interior temperature of 16 and 15 degrees after five minutes of engine standstill and 10 and 9 degrees after a half-hour break. The other cars cool faster and further.

Heating goes on the range
It was also shown that all of the cars examined require around 1.5 to 2 kW of power to keep the interior at a permanent 20 degrees when the outside temperature is minus 10 degrees. So if you had to endure 10 hours of traffic jams in extreme cases, you would need 15 to 20 kWh of energy from the battery to stay warm all the time.

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
[-] The following 1 user Likes tc4me's post:
  • Guardian
haha if I was really worried about it I'd finally invest in heated seat covers and wire them into a switch on the dash for my jeep Tongue

I briefly thought about it though when it was -10 last week. The jeep took a min to start up because the battery was cold.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
My Volkswagen Jetta heats up very quickly in the winter. It's always worked out great in the cold, the absolutely huge battery (900+ cranking amps) means I pretty much never have any issues starting it either.

I've always been curious about EVs in this regard. Once you warm the interior of the car, it takes less energy to keep the air warm. But getting everything up to a comfortable temp requires a lot more energy in the first 15-20 minutes or so because it's also trying to warm up everything in the car (not just the air itself).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Darth-Apple's post:
  • tc4me