Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

EVs are becoming more competitively priced

EVs are still more expensive than their ICE counterparts, but their prices have dropped significantly over the past couple of years. Tesla still starts their cheapest models at about $47K, but there are other manufacturers (including Nissan and GM) that are pricing new EVs below $30,000. This is still very pricey, but in the USA, the federal government recently approved $7,500 tax credits for EVs, working out effectively to a 7.5K discount. This puts many EVs in the 20K range, and puts some Tesla models under 40K. 

These are still far too expensive for someone like me to afford, but I'm surprised to see them drop in price this rapidly. They will still take years to flood the used market, but for new car buyers, they are starting enter price ranges that are roughly comparable to their ICE counterparts. 

Electric vehicles might be mainstream much sooner than we thought. I wouldn't be surprised if it's only 5-7 years before more EVs are sold new than ICE vehicles are, and I'd give it another 10 years or so before the used market begins to catch up. 

Would you consider buying an EV (new or used) if the price was right? Why or why not?

new... depends on the EV.
used? hah! the only reason people sell EV's is because the batteries are too expensive to replace Tongue
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
(December 23rd, 2022 at 4:34 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: new... depends on the EV.
used?  hah! the only reason people sell EV's is because the batteries are too expensive to replace Tongue

Depends on what kind of battery is in it. The Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries can handle several thousand cycles before needing to be replaced, which basically means that they'll last the lifetime of the vehicle. NCA batteries are much more short lived, designed to last 200K miles but some probably last much less than this. 

Tesla uses both kinds of batteries, depending on the model. Unsure on some of the others manufacturers, but I do expect lithium Iron Phosphate batteries to be the dominant chemistry long term (until Lithium Ion itself gets replaced, that is).

hey if that changes I'd totally reconsider but at that point why would someone sell their EV?
(December 23rd, 2022 at 4:53 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: hey if that changes I'd totally reconsider but at that point why would someone sell their EV?

To buy a newer EV, of course! Tongue

I only have a Hybrid since my Jeep died but I LOVE IT. The gas savings difference covers the monthly payment.

When my 1996 pickup truck does eventually die I plan on taking a serious look at the new EV pickups, particularly the smaller ones.
(December 23rd, 2022 at 10:22 PM)Guardian Wrote: I only have a Hybrid since my Jeep died but I LOVE IT. The gas savings difference covers the monthly payment.

When my 1996 pickup truck does eventually die I plan on taking a serious look at the new EV pickups, particularly the smaller ones.

So what hybrid did you end up going with?  as a jeep tinkerer/owner I'm nervous about choosing something that can't go where I often go for geocaching, or able to carry/haul the same stuff.
(December 23rd, 2022 at 11:01 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: So what hybrid did you end up going with?  as a jeep tinkerer/owner I'm nervous about choosing something that can't go where I often go for geocaching, or able to carry/haul the same stuff.

Toyota Corolla Hybrid. It was a bit of an adjustment, but its really fun to drive. I put 60 miles per day on it least, so I needed fuel efficiency over anything else. I still have my truck when I need to haul stuff. The Jeep was not cutting it and didn't really fulfill any needs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Guardian's post:
  • Darth-Apple
(December 25th, 2022 at 2:39 AM)Guardian Wrote:
(December 23rd, 2022 at 11:01 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: So what hybrid did you end up going with?  as a jeep tinkerer/owner I'm nervous about choosing something that can't go where I often go for geocaching, or able to carry/haul the same stuff.

Toyota Corolla Hybrid. It was a bit of an adjustment, but its really fun to drive. I put 60 miles per day on it least, so I needed fuel efficiency over anything else. I still have my truck when I need to haul stuff. The Jeep was not cutting it and didn't really fulfill any needs.

Corollas are great. Never driven a hybrid version, but I’ve had two standard corollas and would definitely buy a third.

idk, with some tweaking the jeep gets 22 in town 26 on the highway which is pretty good for an XJ cherokee.

but then again there's a lot of reasons why I don't like newer cars, expensive difficult to get parts that are cheaply made being a chief reason since I like to do my own repairs.

worst offender I've come across? the chevy sonic. gods those things are awful, the hoses deteriorate and start leaking within a couple years -_-
(December 25th, 2022 at 2:43 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Corollas are great. Never driven a hybrid version, but I’ve had two standard corollas and would definitely buy a third.

I'm now a convert.  Cool

(December 25th, 2022 at 4:11 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: idk, with some tweaking the jeep gets 22 in town 26 on the highway which is pretty good for an XJ cherokee.

but then again there's a lot of reasons why I don't like newer cars, expensive difficult to get parts that are cheaply made being a chief reason since I like to do my own repairs.

worst offender I've come across?  the chevy sonic.  gods those things are awful, the hoses deteriorate and start leaking within a couple years -_-

Before it died my Jeep was at 16 MPG. Some random sensor would go out every few months. Every dash light was on and the codes were not readable. Jeep had no idea and their recommendation was to rewire the entire thing and it still may not fix the problem. I just got fed up with all of it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Guardian's post:
  • Darth-Apple
(December 26th, 2022 at 1:05 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(December 25th, 2022 at 2:43 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Corollas are great. Never driven a hybrid version, but I’ve had two standard corollas and would definitely buy a third.

I'm now a convert.  Cool

(December 25th, 2022 at 4:11 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: idk, with some tweaking the jeep gets 22 in town 26 on the highway which is pretty good for an XJ cherokee.

worst offender I've come across?  the chevy sonic.  gods those things are awful, the hoses deteriorate and start leaking within a couple years -_-

Before it died my Jeep was at 16 MPG. Some random sensor would go out every few months. Every dash light was on and the codes were not readable. Jeep had no idea and their recommendation was to rewire the entire thing and it still may not fix the problem. I just got fed up with all of it.

What make/model was it though? one of the reasons I went with an XJ was because it's not weighed down with a lot of that stuff... and the sensors etc that are on it are easy to get to.
I mean, if I was buying a new car, I'd consider it if the price was right.

But since I don't drive a whole lot, it probably doesn't make financial sense for me to get a new car... and used EVs don't make a whole lot of sense right now either, with the battery replacement issue Tongue .
[Image: pkmb0Gv.png]

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
(December 26th, 2022 at 11:06 PM)Kyng Wrote: I mean, if I was buying a new car, I'd consider it if the price was right.

But since I don't drive a whole lot, it probably doesn't make financial sense for me to get a new car... and used EVs don't make a whole lot of sense right now either, with the battery replacement issue Tongue .

Battery replacement issues are actually going to be much less of a concern now than they have been in the past. More EVs are switching to LFP based chemistries, which have lower density than the NMC ones but have substantially better longevity and can last several times longer. For all intents and purposes, LFPs will last the life of the car and will likely get 20+ years of service easily. 

The NMC ones I would never buy used, those are the ones that are causing a lot of the more costly replacements mid-life of the vehicle. It's not as good of an investment in my eyes if the vehicle won't last beyond the payment period without a 20K battery replacement cost going into it. Tongue

[-] The following 1 user Likes Darth-Apple's post:
  • SpookyZalost
(December 26th, 2022 at 9:30 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: What make/model was it though?  one of the reasons I went with an XJ was because it's not weighed down with a lot of that stuff... and the sensors etc that are on it are easy to get to.

2011 Patriot. So not a REAL Jeep, but just a Jeep...  Tongue
(December 29th, 2022 at 3:05 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(December 26th, 2022 at 9:30 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: What make/model was it though?  one of the reasons I went with an XJ was because it's not weighed down with a lot of that stuff... and the sensors etc that are on it are easy to get to.

2011 Patriot. So not a REAL Jeep, but just a Jeep...  Tongue

See there's your problem.  It's too new, suffers from the same problems all new cars do.  Too much technology integrated into it.
(December 29th, 2022 at 5:47 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: See there's your problem.  It's too new, suffers from the same problems all new cars do.  Too much technology integrated into it.

You're right. It was one of the first years they went electric with everything and hadn't worked the kinks out yet. I'm never buying another car that's one of the first of its series. Give it a few years for them to fix all the bugs.
(January 2nd, 2023 at 6:28 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(December 29th, 2022 at 5:47 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: See there's your problem.  It's too new, suffers from the same problems all new cars do.  Too much technology integrated into it.

You're right. It was one of the first years they went electric with everything and hadn't worked the kinks out yet. I'm never buying another car that's one of the first of its series. Give it a few years for them to fix all the bugs.

That's my concern with all of the automakers who are just now joining the EV market. GM is making some fairly cheap EVs (compared to Tesla, at least), but I wouldn't trust them this early in the cycle.